Rules for EU Cars long term in the UK?

johnmc

Reaction score
Hi,
I've noticed recently locally a large number of cars with EU plates in my home town that are clearly not on holiday with people, mostly from Poland, parked and working in local offices and factories.

Aside from the fact that they seem to struggle with driving on the left, in some cases struggling with driving period, I'm concerned that they may be driving around uninsured. I may just not understand the rules in the EU.

Does anyone know how long a foreign registered car can be driven in the UK without being:

- Registered and taxed in the UK.
- Insured with a UK firm.
- Subject to MOT?

I'd like to know where I stand if I get hit by one, and also would like to ensure that they are paying their way on the roads if staying here to work.

Thoughts?

Bye!
John

psmart

Reaction score
I noticed the same in Leeds, mainly Poland and

Lithuania.

I know the opposite scenario, ie. UK in Europe.

Basically, so long as you are only temporarily resident, then you can have your UK vehicle fulltime, under UK insurance and MOT in Europe BUT each country has variations which go against the European freedom of movement. In Germany, for example, if I were to keep my car here fulltime, I would have to have it registered in Germany, with German plates, tax and insurance BUT so long as I keep on removing the vehicle out of Germany (normally back to the UK) and am not registered as being resident in Germany, then this doesnt apply. If the German police stop me, I would need to prove roadworthiness, insurance, tax and ownership (or permission to use the vehicle).

One interesting aspect, I had my ML out of the UK for about 18months and had to have it TUV prufung tested (MOT) in Austria, and it was fully valid and legal to drive in any country in Europe for 1 year after this test, with my UK tax and Insurance (who officially confirmed that the Austrian test was sufficient to maintain insurance cover).... except, once it entered the UK shores, it had to be driven straight to an MOT station!!!

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Its a great way to avoid speeding fines ;)

psmart

Reaction score
Blobcat said:
Its a great way to avoid speeding fines ;)
I can vouch for that one! In the ML, I got flashed several times and never got a fine, even got stopped by the police and just given a thorough going-over with no fine. On the other hand, this weekend in a German registered car, I got done for 160kmh in a 100kmh zone, although the kind polizei adjusted it to 160kmh in a 120kmh zone with 10% margin for error = 144kmh, resulting in a 60Euro fine (and no points)!

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom