S203 bonnet catch

AndySlade

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 Diesel Estate, Sports Edition
Well today as weather was fine (did not need a coat) and it was not raining for once, I decided to do the normal under bonnet checks as I am headed up North after Easter for a long weekend. So screenwash, coolant level, power steering fluid and windscreen drains all checked and cleaned out. So when I go to close the bonnet one of the catches had partially seized and driver side worked OK the other the bonnet catch would not go down. So I removed passenger side catch, easy enough two 10mm bolts and fiddle to remove Bowden cable and spent a frustrating 30 minutes working catch to and fro so the it would spring open when catch released. Locking Catch was releasing OK but main paw was seized on the shaft and not allowing the spring to pop it up, when locking catch operated.
A good old can of PlusGas penetrating fluid and levering the paw with a screwdriver and then just wiggling back to and fro and it now appears OK. Checked other side whilst my hands were dirty and tools were out. There was plenty of white spray grease on both catches but obviously needed something to penetrate the shaft.

Not really looked at them closely before and have always used spray grease on them. Suggest it might be worth the more diligent of the home mechanics to check their bonnet catches To check they are not partially seized, before they give trouble. Was very lucky it happened when bonnet was open, dread to think what would have happened with the bonnet closed and just latch pulled? I presume some brute force lifting the bonnet to force the catch open?

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
Most overlooked item. I lube mine each year (MOT, service time) with a squirt of engine oil.
Last thing you want is them not engaging and bonnet flies up on the motorway going through the screen.
Good heads up !
They donsay you shoulld do under bonnet checks monthly - to make sure nothings a miss. Its regular checks that keep us maintaining and the car in good fettle.

Reactions: DSK

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom