S320 CDI Turbo not working!!!

mouldb

Reaction score
Hi All,
I have a 2001 S320 CDI which has not drove for about 8 months. I bought it with body damage, and have since had it repaired. However I drove it for the first time the other day and there does not seem to be any power at all.
I have read a little about an ERG valve! Could it be this or will I have to go down the road of a new Turbo at the "Stealerships".

any pointers are welcome.

Thanks,

Bruce.:confused:

piestore

Reaction score
s320 turbo

HI

very unlikly to be the turbo this sytem is controled by vacum I guess you have aleak possibly due to the damage

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The EGR valve only effects idle when worn. when you say no power, does it rev up in idle.

Malcolm

OP
M

mouldb

Reaction score
Hi,
It Revs no problem, so what could be leaking? The only thing took off to do with the turbo was the intercooler!

Ta,

Bruce

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
If the fault is man made, it may not show up, I will look tomorrow.

malcolm

OP
M

mouldb

Reaction score
Re No Turbo Boost!

Malcolm,

Was this reply meant for me?

Ta,

Bruce.

If the fault is man made, it may not show up, I will look tomorrow.

malcolm

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I think Malcolm was referring to whoever removed the intercooler and repaired the bodywork, rather than yourself.
How is the MAS sensor, apart from the willingness to rev the rest of the symptoms point in that direction.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
My money is on the intercooler leaking thus creating a lack of power. If you do a search I'm sure there are one or two threads on this.
If the IC is OK it might be worth checking the MAS

psmart

Reaction score
I purposely disconnected the Boost Pressure Actuator Transducer in my ML (due to a leaking Turbo to Catalytic converter seal), which controls the amount of vacuum presented to the Turbo Vane actuator. If this device goes, then you wont have any Turbo operation. Also, if the pipes are split anywhere from the Vacuum pump through the BPAT to the Turbo, you wont get any Turbo spin up.

Quick way of verifying, listen for the wolfwhistle. Open all your windows and try and make your car accelerate from around 1500rpm to 2500rpm, gently, and listen for a whistle. If you cant here it, then Turbo isnt spinning up. So would suggest above, or as previous posts say, the Intercooler feed pipe.

OP
M

mouldb

Reaction score
What size hole or leak would have an effect on the turbo?

Ta,

Bruce

psmart

Reaction score
Hi Bruce,

If its the vacuum piping, then I'd say any size hole, because the vacuum pulls on the actuator.

If the Boost Pressure Actuator Transducer is faulty, the car ECU will shut it off, so this will cause the same effect, ie. Turbo wont spin up as the vanes wont be actuated.

On my MG Montego Turbo, when the air outlet pipe from the Turbo came off (feeds the intercooler before going into the engine), the car maxed out at 30mph and no acceleration. Its difficult to guage on a diesel, because the ML without the Turbo was reasonable, but the MG was a dog. Thus if no pipes are loose and you have an Intercooler leak (large) then expect poor performance. Check all pipes though, its quite possible one of the pipes is loose or not fitting well. Another check is to get a friend to sit in the car, brakes hard on, engage gear, accelerate and you stand to the side of the engine bay and listen for compressed air leaking (we did this to find the ML seal leak).

There are numerous other possibilities, the primary other suspect, from reading the many posts, like blobcat mentions, is the MAS. If this is not connected or faulty, then the engine cannot determine air to fuel ratio, so it will go into a 'get you home mode'. For this, you need to have the fault code read out of the cars ECU. If you know someone who can read out the fault codes, the BPAT will also show up if its faulty.

OlafMaxwell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W210 E320 CDI Estate
I had identical problem, same engine as the S320CDI. you are looking at the MAF, cost about €90 [£60] for the part and fits easily. If that is gone you get no turbo, turbo simply does not operate. Change or check air filter first though, garage told me a bad air filter can also cause same problem but did say most likely cause was MAF. Its a good and trouble free engine.

piestore

Reaction score
turbo not working

HI

The turbo control is actuated via a transducer which recieves a signal from the ecu as to how long to switch the transducer on for. This electric signal switches a vac line to the turbo if there is no vac supply to the transducer the turbo will be in the low to zero boost posistion (fail safe)

You need to locate the transducer and check that it has a good vac supply (about -600 to -800 mbar) if this is ok check the integrity of the pipe from te transducer to the turbo , a simple vac test is ok for this. I the above test doesn't lead to the fault it could be the transducer itself.

As has been mentioned prev the engine could be in emrgency mode for many reasons (turbo inop in emergency) MAF sensor is common, autobox faults,

the fault code is required for more acurate diagnosis only look towards the turbo and turbo control if the fault code is " boost pressure control fault"

If the fault code is "boost pressure too low" turbo boost leak or intercooler leak or blocked exhaust"

For any other fault follow the fault code path

clive williams

Reaction score
mouldb said:
Hi,
It Revs no problem, so what could be leaking? The only thing took off to do with the turbo was the intercooler!

Ta,

Bruce

hi Bruce,

One other thing to check. I assume that the inside of the intercooler was not flushed out prior to reinstalling it in the car? There could be a blockage. Modern intercoolers get very mucky internally and need periodic cleaning - Land Rover Tdis are renoun for it. You don't say what the damage was. Was it front end? Was the intercooler damaged? Find some way of checking the boost pressure either side of the intercooler when the engine at max torque revs - this will show up a lot.

Clive

500E
E320CDIT210

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom