Selling - are factory options included in quotations.

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
Morning.

I mentioned elsewhere that I’m planning on selling my SL.

I’ve had a few quotes from online buyers and presume that they will not have allowed for all the factory extras or brand new tyres etc.

They simply request the registration and, I assume, then quote based of the RRP of a “vanilla” car.

Is this correct?

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Factory extras they will know about as they will have decoded the VIN, I doubt they will pay more if you spent £5k on extras although some people say COMAND is worth £1k on the price, valuations are on Age, Mileage and Condition

New tyres, just serviced etc are irrelevant as they are standard maintenance

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Any additional options over and above the standard fit I do feel worth mentioning, I it makes the car just a little more attractive :)

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
It's not an entirely mathematical equation is the simple answer.

You can have an unpopular colour combination on a mint car that leaves it collecting dust and that changes.
Who would have thought of a Matt Black Rolls or Range Rover or someone ticking a primer grey colour box.

And then you might have the popular colour but so have many others to compete with.

Sentiment plays a huge part and prices ride a wave of non to obvious opinion.

Cost, of potential maintenance or just fuel and Insurance, narrows the market.

So the few in the pond search out the very best for their buck and traders want a bigger margin for their risk if they aren't bidding the prices fall.

You could always have bought a Fiesta:) or a horse..........

OP
rorywquin

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
Factory extras make £0 difference in selling price, they just make it more likely to sell quickly
Yea I’m noticing that - will probably have to do a private sale. My car has almost 8k worth of options. Based on used car ads I’ve seen and the offers I’ve received, the dealers are marking them up about 25%.

OP
rorywquin

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
Any additional options over and above the standard fit I do feel worth mentioning, I it makes the car just a little more attractive :)
IMO something like ABC (a trouble free item on the R231) is very much worth mentioning and a fantastic option to have.

OP
rorywquin

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
It's not an entirely mathematical equation is the simple answer.

You can have an unpopular colour combination on a mint car that leaves it collecting dust and that changes.
Who would have thought of a Matt Black Rolls or Range Rover or someone ticking a primer grey colour box.

And then you might have the popular colour but so have many others to compete with.

Sentiment plays a huge part and prices ride a wave of non to obvious opinion.

Cost, of potential maintenance or just fuel and Insurance, narrows the market.

So the few in the pond search out the very best for their buck and traders want a bigger margin for their risk if they aren't bidding the prices fall.

You could always have bought a Fiesta:) or a horse..........
MB called me and were trying to sell me a new car with mine as part exchange. He mentioned that late spring is the time to sell my car and he believed that I’d get much better offers then.

I’m in no rush.

I’m an idiot because I alays take really good care of all my cars and never seem to get the benefit of that when I sell. When will I learn.

Slartibardfast1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S350L, R231 SL350 & SL400
Factory extras make £0 difference in selling price, they just make it more likely to sell quickly
My car has over £15k in factory options with low mileage, is immaculate and has full Dealer Service History. I'd like to think that if I was considering selling it (I'm not) I would get a better price than a "normal" basic spec car of same model and year. Maybe I'm being optimistic?

OP
rorywquin

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
My car has over £15k in factory options with low mileage, is immaculate and has full Dealer Service History. I'd like to think that if I was considering selling it (I'm not) I would get a better price than a "normal" basic spec car of same model and year. Maybe I'm being optimistic?
I’m not seeing it in offers on my car.

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200

Extra's on a car for sale makes no difference to your price. It is just a bonus for the buyer if it has the extra's. One the other hand some knobs regard extra's as more things to go wrong, so if you get a prospective buyer who shows that tendency, hang up the phone or slam the door shut when they turn up to view :D

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
You are...:( my 911 has £35K of options.. zero difference in selling price to a non-optioned one - just made it more desirable and easier to sell

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
MB called me and were trying to sell me a new car with mine as part exchange. He mentioned that late spring is the time to sell my car and he believed that I’d get much better offers then.

I’m in no rush.

I’m an idiot because I alays take really good care of all my cars and never seem to get the benefit of that when I sell. When will I learn.
Then keep it and enjoy it...

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi

I’m in no rush.

Why not run round in a well-maintained car that is a reward in itself, you are after all looking after yourself and family etc when you drive it.

A set of ditch finders and a fix it, when it stops for the least mantra, is not one I share nor get any pleasure using.

My old car is always fit for a long trip.

OP
rorywquin

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
Then keep it and enjoy it...
Not using it so it is becoming an annoyance rather than something that makes me happy.

I really enjoyed a run out on Sunday in it (first in several weeks) and only really because I felt that it needed a run. I need to get it cleaned up and advertise it when the weather improves and minds turn to our theoretical long summer.

OP
rorywquin

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
You are...:( my 911 has £35K of options.. zero difference in selling price to a non-optioned one - just made it more desirable and easier to sell
Did you sell to a dealer or private?

Alastairp

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CLK200 coupe (now gone) 2011 R230 SL350 2014 C220 estate
£8k of extra stuff to go wrong :)
Extra's on a car for sale makes no difference to your price. It is just a bonus for the buyer if it has the extra's. One the other hand some knobs regard extra's as more things to go wrong, so if you get a prospective buyer who shows that tendency, hang up the phone or slam the door shut when they turn up to view :D
That's me told then! :)

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom