Servo assist

glenluceblue

Reaction score
Can anyone explain if I have a problem with my brake system or not ?. What has recently started to happen is after turning on ignition I don't seem to have my servo assist. Momentarily I have to put loads of pressure on the brake pedal and then all seems to be ok again. It has never happened after initial start up and I haven't had any warning indications. I'll show my ignorance here but could it be down to a loose/failing belt or is it the start of something much more costly ?
Cheers for any help - car is a late 2000 W210.

auntiephil

Reaction score
i would check out the basic functions first: to check the servo ,engine off and pump the brake pedal until it gets harder, then firm brake pedal pressure and switch engine on, it should go down slightly(brake pedal). if it does not do this then your servo is almost definitely faulty.Secondly, put foot on brake pedal and preess hard if it 'gives' anymore towards the floor then you may have a master cylinder fault.Check fluid level(physically), if very low or empty you have a leak.Check thickness of pads and discs.All this will cost you nothing! good luck.

B

BLONDIE

Is your 210 a petrol? If so some models had an auxilary electric vacuum pump fitted into the servo line. This may not be working correctly, it only normally comes on after engine start.

OP
G

glenluceblue

Reaction score
It is a petrol model (200 Kompressor). Normally there isn't a problem but several times in the last week I've noticed this on start up. I don't believe there's a leak as the level is fine and I don't think there's a problem with pads or discs as the brakes are superb in normal operation.

BlackC55

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43
I think there may have been a modified vacuum servo pipe made for this fault. I can't remember if it was for a c-class or E. A dealer should know.

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom