Shocks

Mike J

Reaction score
Hi all
I need to replace all 4 shocks on my E220cdi, not desperate but the originals have now done 107k. After comparing Mercedes and German & Swedish prices Mercedes are almost twice the price. Has any one used them or does any one have information on the quality of the shocks supplied by G&S.
I am trying to decide if double the money would make sense in the long run.
Regards
Mike

andy66

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
05 c180k with sports pack
hello mike,i got 2 new rear shocks for my c class from gsf and they were good quality items(made by bose which are standard fitment to many prestige cars)and when fitted were no problem giving very good performance...so i would go gsf and spend what you saved down the pub!!

OP
M

Mike J

Reaction score
Andy66
Thanks just the type of reply I needed (personal Experience) see you in the pub :D
Bolide
Just my opinion as the handling does not seem to be as taught as it used
to be and I think the wheels seem to chatter over bumps.
Mike

Bolide

Reaction score
Website
www.w124.co.uk
Your Mercedes
BMW 525 Diesel Touring
There's quite a long list of things I suggest you look at before replacing shock absorbers. It includes ARB bushes & drop links, ball joints and every suspension joint with rubber in it

I suspect you've got worn ARB bushes and/or drop links

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

jibcl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500,ML55,SLK280
If the shock is wet ie leaking oil then is knackered, if its dry then theres nothing wrong with it. I replaced the two front coil springs on my CL it turned the car into a gocart afterwards, before it was sloppy, just need to do the rears now.

jib

OP
M

Mike J

Reaction score
There's quite a long list of things I suggest you look at before replacing shock absorbers. It includes ARB bushes & drop links, ball joints and every suspension joint with rubber in it

I suspect you've got worn ARB bushes and/or drop links

Hi Bolide
Thanks for the reply
I would be gratful for that Long (this worries me a bit) list, and if I am going to replacing lots of rubber is there a definitive list of the bits I will need.
Thanks
Mike
Ps What are ARB bushes ?

OP
M

Mike J

Reaction score
ARB Anti Roll Bar Bushes. LOL
God I hate TLAs
Mike

nickh

Reaction score
hllo

i fitted new shocks on my e class at about 115k.. i did the front two first then realised that the rear two were also past it as the back would do a different thing to the front around corners.

the service life of a shock is normally around 60k or so,

the ride is just fantastic now..so smooth. (was jittery on bumps)

p.s. i bought my bilstein (oem) from euro car parts about 50-60 squid- each

had already done the bushes etc...

n

hmang

Reaction score
others have had good things to say about the bilsteins too

chelle_cj

Reaction score
though you prefer double pricing, it won't give assurance that it is reliable... my friend had his mercedes shock replacement and upon hearing his feedback, its suspension system is manageable which he uses a twin tube-type shock absorber that is made up of an inner and outer tube..just be sure to get your own with quality and performance level...

OP
M

Mike J

Reaction score
though you prefer double pricing, it won't give assurance that it is reliable... my friend had his mercedes shock replacement and upon hearing his feedback, its suspension system is manageable which he uses a twin tube-type shock absorber that is made up of an inner and outer tube..just be sure to get your own with quality and performance level...

Pardon ??????:confused:

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom