Simple question SLK LIM Dash light

Brian23

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
EClass
Simple question on the SLK what is the LIM Dash light, that is below the speedo needle for?
Brian

ncooper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1984 Mercedes Benz 280 SL,1993 Mercedes Benz 190E Manual,1993 Mercedes Benz 190E Auto
Here's a guess,based on an E class I used to own.
The cruise control can be used to limit the car's speed as well as maintaining it.
If you select a limited speed,this light will illuminate to remind you why the car won't go any faster.
I have ready,a cloth to wipe egg from my face,if necessary.:)

Regards,
Nick.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Would not that indicate that you have the speed limiter engaged on the end of the stalk

antijam

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 SLK320
Here's a guess,based on an E class I used to own.
The cruise control can be used to limit the car's speed as well as maintaining it.
If you select a limited speed,this light will illuminate to remind you why the car won't go any faster.
I have ready,a cloth to wipe egg from my face,if necessary.:)

Regards,
Nick.

No need for the egg wiper - you're right.

The LIM light is tthe indicator for what Mercedes rather clumsily call 'Speedtronic'.

Pressing the cruise control lever axially will toggle between cruise control and Speedtronic. With the lamp off the cruise control lever operates the cruise control functions. With it lit the lever controls the Speedtronic functions. Speedtronic is used to set a variable or permanent speed limit which the car will not exceed.

I've never used it - although cruise control is very useful.

Retired

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GL 420CDI
The answers above are correct.

Feature is handy for not exceeding a particular speed whilst giving the capability to speed up and slow down at will below the set speed.

Cruise is excellent for maintaining speed on a motorway. The limit function is good in congested situations such as a urban areas where a constant speed is virtually impossible, but you don't want to inadvertantly exceed the limit.

OP
B

Brian23

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
EClass
Thank you again for the info
Brian

antijam

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 SLK320
Just a minor correction to my previous post. The lamp on the Cruise Control stalk is what indicates that Speedtronic is selected. The LIM lamp only lights when a maximum speed has actually been set. So as ncooper suggested, it is a reminder that should you floor the loud pedal for an ill-advised overtaking move, the sudden adrenaline rush you get when nothing happens is not due to a mechanical failure...... :shock:;)

ncooper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1984 Mercedes Benz 280 SL,1993 Mercedes Benz 190E Manual,1993 Mercedes Benz 190E Auto
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Nicely put,sir.

Regards,
Nick

sailorP

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK32AMG
In addition to warning that the speed limit function is in operation, the big triangular LIM light flashes at you when the traction control system operates.
(I think it also warns of ABS operation???? I need to check that, as I've never seen ABS activate on my car).
Anyway...
Whenever I use too much hoof off the line, or go too hard out of a roundabout, the LIM lamp lights, and acceleration/power is reduced. The car decelerates, and the light goes out, as soon as the traction control system senses no wheel spin, and thinks all is well.
If I don't remove the foot from the loud pedal, it flashes again, reduces the power again, goes out again etc etc, and I progress down the road, car lurching about like a drunk, with an orange flashing light illuminating my face. It's particularly awkward powering out of a roundabout, as a cycle of power on/power off/power on/power off makes the car lurch from side to side, with alternate over and under steer.
It's not a very sophisticated traction control system....but I don't have the nerve to (or confidence in my driving skills on the road) to turn it off.
I'll just have to stop treating the accelerator like an on/off switch.

antijam

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 SLK320
In addition to warning that the speed limit function is in operation, the big triangular LIM light flashes at you when the traction control system operates.

These are two different lights on my car. The small 'LIM' one works as we've described. The big triangular one with the ! in the middle is the one you want on as much as possible! ;) This gives the exciting combination of maximum adrenalin coupled with minimum tyre life.

With all the torque available from your hooligan SLK32, I'm not surprised it's on more often than not! :shock:;);)

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
These are two different lights on my car. The small 'LIM' one works as we've described. The big triangular one with the ! in the middle is the one you want on as much as possible! ;) This gives the exciting combination of maximum adrenalin coupled with minimum tyre life.

With all the torque available from your hooligan SLK32, I'm not surprised it's on more often than not! :shock:;);)
I call that one the "idiot light" it comes on whenever I'm having fun.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes

I have only seen it twice in 3 years on mine

antijam

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 SLK320
I have only seen it twice in 3 years on mine

You obviously have a lighter right foot than sailorP, Malcolm - especially as you have another 200Nm of torque available! ( Mind you, not only is the SL500 consierably more powerful than the SLK32, it is just a bit more refined too...... ;))

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You obviously have a lighter right foot than sailorP, Malcolm - especially as you have another 200Nm of torque available! ( Mind you, not only is the SL500 consierably more powerful than the SLK32, it is just a bit more refined too...... ;))

Yes you got it in one,,much to refined to be seen doing such things.

It eats tyres as it is without helping it

The Rock

Reaction score
Just a minor correction to my previous post. The lamp on the Cruise Control stalk is what indicates that Speedtronic is selected. The LIM lamp only lights when a maximum speed has actually been set. So as ncooper suggested, it is a reminder that should you floor the loud pedal for an ill-advised overtaking move, the sudden adrenaline rush you get when nothing happens is not due to a mechanical failure...... :shock:;)

There is one exception to that. On my E and SLK if you activate the kick-down via the throttle pedal (with LIM illuminated) the LIM light goes out and off you jolly well fly.

Rock

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
There is one exception to that. On my E and SLK if you activate the kick-down via the throttle pedal (with LIM illuminated) the LIM light goes out and off you jolly well fly.

Rock

The kick down is intended as a get out of trouble device,,you can soon be in more if you do not watch out;):D

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom