SL500 4 speed auto box

Flying Scot

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 500 R129 1995
somewhat cunfoosed with the way this box works there does not seem to be a direct drive lock up clutch in the fluid flywheel/torque convertor

is there one and if so at what speed should it come in?

or does it have one and a free wheel clutch as well.

when driving along at say 45/50 MPH in 4th and i lift off the acc pedal the engine RPM drops back to idle speed - not that i am looking for any engine braking as i can get that by selecting 3rd gear - but i was wondering is the FF/TC always in a slip mode or does it just do that - disconnect the direct drive lock up clutch - when i lift my foot off in 4th gear.

Myros

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R107, S211, R170, C219
I think Television did a good strand on this

in the big long thread about do we wait at lights in D or N. I notice the same effect on both the 4spd autos we have. It must be in slip mode unless you engage a lower gear. As if I need an excuse to do that on the SL. What a lovely burble you get when you do drop into third.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The early ones are not the same as the electric boxes. When coasting on the early ones, the rev counter drops back to around 1k on the electric boxes the revs stay at the speed perportional to the road speed, there is no engine braking on either in 4 or 5.

Malcolm

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom