stalling and hesitating

BFM

Reaction score
My first post for my first ever MB so be gentle! :grin:

I have just bought a used 2001 CL500 from an MB dealer and over the past 3 days the engine has moved away from being a peach to being a bit of a lemon!

This only happens once or twice a day; basically at idle (typically at traffic lights) the revs fluctuate from 500 to 800 a few times and then the engine stalls. If I catch the revs and accelerate then it hesitates and then aggressively lunges forward. In addition, if I accelerate hard from around 50mph it again sometimes hesitates (about 1 to 2 seconds) and then lunges (rev drops rapidly then sorts itself out).

I've just handed it back to the MB dealer to sort out but as it can not be reproduced ondemand I am worried that they might state that there is no problem with it (there are no malfunction errors reported on the dashboard).

If any of you have any experience of such antics with your MB and how you overcame them then it would be greatly appreciated! Of course if they fix the problem then I'll repost and let you all know what it was. Here's hoping!

Many thanks

Myros

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R107, S211, R170, C219
it sounds symptomatic of MAF problems

do a search for MAF on here and see what pops up. Good luck and welcome aboard.

OP
B

BFM

Reaction score
many thanks

Just read a few MAF posts like you suggested and although totally different engines they all seem to have the exact same symptoms! :shock:

I am expecting a call from MB this afternoon so lets see if they concur!

Many thanks!

OP
B

BFM

Reaction score
Replaced sensor

They replaced the air flow sensor (is that another word for the MAF?) and no more problems. The engine now purrs! :D

Myros

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R107, S211, R170, C219
I am merely a sponge

regurgitating all that I have learned on this site. Nice feeling to get it right though.

Top Bottom