starter motor CL500 M273 also M272 engines

dldb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 (C216) 2009 107K miles 5.5l V8
I've just replaced my starter with a second hand Bosch at £30. I didn't want a new one even at £85 as they all seem to be made in China and the Chinese alternator which the last owner fitted lasted only 19K miles. I tried replacing the reg on it and the Chinese screws were chocolate.

Part number for the original Bosch was 0001107459 (460), Mercedes A0061516001.

It is probably the easiest job I have done, much easier than replacing the alternator. The hardest bits were getting the car up on my car ramps (using a jack), without having the benefit of the hydraulic suspension raising, and removing the 2 underfloor panels and their 20 bolts. After that it was just 2 bolts and 2 nuts and the starter came out easily. I understand that the USA CL500/CL550s with 4WD are more complicated to remove.

Now I am surprised how fast the new (second hand) starter is compared to the old one. I do remember saying, when I bought the car, that the battery may be going as the starter seemed slow. The seller told me it was due to the engine being a V8 (I am used to a V6) and that seemed to make some sense especially as the battery tested (and is) 100%. Anyway 7K miles after purchase, at 114K miles, the starter remained slow but worked until one day it didn't and I had to have the car recovered. The starter took amps but did nothing apart from get warm. No warnings apart from the slowness for 2 years.

Upon inspection the starter brushes were knackered having worn right down and 2 of the 4 had disintegrated completely. An easy repair except that I don't know what caused it (possibly a worn bush) and I already had a replacement with good length brushes.

I've never had a starter motor fail in any other car. I note that the exact same part number is used on the V6 M272 engines where it would have an easier life, maybe it is underpowered for the V8.

Last edited:

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
I guess that with the advent of start-stop you'll see more bush wear on start motors.
Gld that the fix was easy.

Bay Leaf

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 350 R231 2013
MB and other car makers state that starter motor etc etc are beefed up to take the extra strain, but I'm with you. Thats why I turn off my stop start every time I go anywhere.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
MB and other car makers state that starter motor etc etc are beefed up to take the extra strain, but I'm with you. Thats why I turn off my stop start every time I go anywhere.
The latest Mercedes stop start doesn’t use the starter motor to restart the car… it leaves the engine in such a position that a squirt or fuel into the cylinder and the resultant ignition is enough to start it.
It doesn’t negate any of the cam chain wear but it does save the starter motor.

Bay Leaf

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 350 R231 2013
Yes I've read that somewhere (can't think where) a while ago. Very ingenious on Mercedes part. Not sure if my 2013 350 SL with the 276 engine has it though.
I do use it very occasionally and the engine does seem to re start very quickly so maybe it has. How would I check.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350

I've never had a starter motor fail in any other car. ....
the last starter I had to replace was that on my Smart Roadster. It was only a couple of bolts that held it in place but ...... it took my about 5 hours to reach thebl00dy things!!!!!!!!
I went with a new one form MB despite its cost .... I didn't want to have to repeat the job using a 2nd hand starter ;)

Top Bottom