Starting problems

Armand C180

Reaction score
I have a 1994 C180 and it's been a year now since my car starts running after I try several times (3,5,8...or even 20 lately) to turn the key into ignition switch. But every time the motor starts running it can be heard a high "relay like" sound just a second before. When this sound appears immediately after I put the key in the second position for the first time (like I think it should be every time) the motor always starts. Everything after is working perfectly.
PLEASE HELP!!!! Thank you in advance!

LANDR0VER

Banned
Reaction score
Armand C180 said:
I have a 1994 C180 and it's been a year now since my car starts running after I try several times (3,5,8...or even 20 lately) to turn the key into ignition switch. But every time the motor starts running it can be heard a high "relay like" sound just a second before. When this sound appears immediately after I put the key in the second position for the first time (like I think it should be every time) the motor always starts. Everything after is working perfectly.
PLEASE HELP!!!! Thank you in advance!

I think you will have to explain your problem a bit better,Has your car not been running for a year,the noise might be your fuel pump......

OP
A

Armand C180

Reaction score
LANDR0VER said:
I think you will have to explain your problem a bit better,Has your car not been running for a year,the noise might be your fuel pump......
What I ment was that the engine starts running but only after I try for several times: I keep the key in the third position a few seconds, the starter is turning OK, but the motor refuses to start until, during the following attempts, the high "fuel pump" sound can be heard. Lately it starts a little bit better when the motor is cold. Before all this (a year ago), every time I put the key into the second position I could hear that sound (it happens even now but very rarely-I think after long journeys).
The green relay next to the battery is clicking every time I turn the key-but I dont know if this mean that it's functioning properly or not.
A year ago my steering lock blocked suddenly, I removed and dismantled it and found a little piece of plastic inside it, broken from the plastic body of the contact(I'm sure that it didn't have any functional role).After that my rear window heater doesn't function any more. Could all this be related in any way with the erratic start of my engine? Could it be a loose electrical contact? I had this kind of problems with the acceleration control unit contacts (they corroded because the wind screen washing bowl was leeking-long story). Where should I look first?
Thank you for your interest!

paulcallender

Banned
Reaction score
Have you done basic checks such as taking off the fuel line and checking that fuel flows out when you try to start; and that you have a spark?

Spray some "cold start" into the air intake and see what happens when you try to start it. I think you have an issue with your cold starting or something like that.

Top Bottom