Steering Lock

Guy Massey

New Registration
Reaction score
I have recently bought a 1985 (C reg) 500 SEC and I haven’t had it five minutes – well, two weeks, actually – and I have already got a problem.

When I got it the key seemed very stiff when I put it in the ignition barrel. It was stiff, but it worked.

The problem now is that I went to start it the other day I can not turn the key clockwise. It is just as though the steering lock is still engaged. I have tried wiggling the steering wheel from one side to the other but I still can’t get the key to turn.

Can someone offer some advice on what to do?

Which way do I have to turn the steering wheel to unlock the steering lock?

Would it help to jack up the front end and get the weight off the front wheels?

Can I disconnect the steering lock? Or withdraw the ignition barrel?

Help. What can I do?

:(

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
You could try some white grease from a lock smith or MB, but the chances are that it will need a new lock, only from MB.

Malcolm and welcome to the forum.

Last edited:

tom7035

Reaction score
Guy Massey said:
I have recently bought a 1985 (C reg) 500 SEC and I haven’t had it five minutes – well, two weeks, actually – and I have already got a problem.

When I got it the key seemed very stiff when I put it in the ignition barrel. It was stiff, but it worked.

The problem now is that I went to start it the other day I can not turn the key clockwise. It is just as though the steering lock is still engaged. I have tried wiggling the steering wheel from one side to the other but I still can’t get the key to turn.

Can someone offer some advice on what to do?

Which way do I have to turn the steering wheel to unlock the steering lock?

Would it help to jack up the front end and get the weight off the front wheels?

Can I disconnect the steering lock? Or withdraw the ignition barrel?

Help. What can I do?

:(
Hi Guy, welcome from me.
I'm no locksmith and neither am I familiar with your model, but my strong advice is NOT to force it under any circumstances or you could face a bill of £££'s! I'm thinking sticking tumblers and would personally try spraying in some very thin lubricant (penetrating oil or similar) and PATIENT wiggling of the wheel and turning attempts of the key without forcing. You may be lucky and suddenly it might turn - you may have to try for a fair amount of time, so as I said, patience. You are going to have to replace the lock barrel in any case, but to remove it, it needs to be turned to position '1' (if it's the same as the later models that is).
Try a search of the forum using relevant keywords as there have been issues like this discussed several times.
I don't think raising the front wheels will make any difference.
Meantime I'm sure someone much more experienced in this problem will come in.
Good luck, Tom.

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom