Strong burning smell

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
Vendo had not been on since 2011....

but points are valid. An italian tune up is always good.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
I have an 8 month old C Class 220 CDi (W204) Sport Auto BlueEFFECIENCY Saloon which I purchased new. It has been back to the dealer on 4 occasions because of a very strong burning rubber smell from the left hand rear side of the car. Mercedes have told me to live with it as they have no intention of doing anything about it even though it is a known 'issue' and they know what is causing it. They say the smell is caused by the exhaust getting extremely hot which causes the resin in the rubber exhaust bushes to overheat. This overheating is caused by the engine 'cleaning' the Diesel Particle Filter in the exhaust. I have to say I am amazed that a Premium car maker such as Mercedes produces luxury cars that smell like a burning tyre dump. I have told the dealer I didn't pay the thick end of 30k to drive around in a car that smells like it is going to burst into flames at any moment, but they just shrug their shoulders and say there is nothing they can do about but Mercedes 'assures' me it is not dangerous and the car is safe. Call me a sceptic but that does feel with much confidence. Does anyone else have a similar problem or am I just unlucky and have a Friday afternoon car?
Whatever I wud put story in writing to benz dealer, send recorded delivery, demand they put in writing what they told u. Send a copy to ur lawyer. As far as premium car goes. Up to 80k I think its just a cockpit illusion that benz any. Better at all than audi, BMW ect and even dacia as far as component reliability and customer service goes
Despite 3 attempts I could not get to speak to my local pts dept or get a rtn call. So after 20
yr I use Grangemouth for genuine pts now.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom