Supaguard

s5tuart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 R230 SL350
I've noticed an almost hidden Supaguard sticker on my windscreen.
Maybe that accounts for the wonderful condition of it but has got me thinking about when I get round to the clay bar stage.
I intend to wash, clay bar, Meguiars Ultimate compound, and polish but will that damage the Supaguard?
I have no idea when it was done, maybe even from new, but I don't want to damage anything.
Am I being over cautious?

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
Take a look at their site. If your car has had a good wash, water should bead. You also ask could the person you got the car from.

FWIW.
1) If the paint looks like it needs to be clayed, then the Supaguard is probably gone.
2) I can highly recommend Turtle Wax Hybrid Ceramic Products. There are numerous YT detailers that have tested it against other products and rated it the best. When I washed my car just before selling it, it was still beading strongly on the bonnet and boot after about 2 years (admittedly low miles). I’ve tried dozens of different products and besides a proper ceramic coat, TW is hard to beat.

OP
s5tuart

s5tuart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 R230 SL350
Take a look at their site. If your car has had a good wash, water should bead. You also ask could the person you got the car from.

FWIW.
1) If the paint looks like it needs to be clayed, then the Supaguard is probably gone.
2) I can highly recommend Turtle Wax Hybrid Ceramic Products. There are numerous YT detailers that have tested it against other products and rated it the best. When I washed my car just before selling it, it was still beading strongly on the bonnet and boot after about 2 years (admittedly low miles). I’ve tried dozens of different products and besides a proper ceramic coat, TW is hard to beat.

Thanks Rory. I'll take a look. I suspect it was done early in its life.

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
By the way....
Turtle Wax are offering BOGOF on their site.

Never got round to trying the Graphene only used the Hbrid Ceramic products (Which I was waiting to finish up). The stuff is so thinly applied that a bottle will easily do 5 or 6 cars. It does last as well as they claim.

OP
s5tuart

s5tuart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 R230 SL350
Never got round to trying the Graphene only used the Hbrid Ceramic products (Which I was waiting to finish up). The stuff is so thinly applied that a bottle will easily do 5 or 6 cars. It does last as well as they claim.
The offer is only for the Hybrid Solutions products

Morethanpolish

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 200 Kompressor
Its highly likely that was a dealer applied coating when the car was new, but as I've no idea of the age of your car, beading is the only test I can suggest.

If it beads, there's something on there.

Clay will not remove coatings as its non-abrasive, but any Compound will.

OP
s5tuart

s5tuart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 R230 SL350
Its highly likely that was a dealer applied coating when the car was new, but as I've no idea of the age of your car, beading is the only test I can suggest.

If it beads, there's something on there.

Clay will not remove coatings as its non-abrasive, but any Compound will.
The car is a 2003. It does bead but I'm guessing that's the result of previous owners waxing rather than the Supaguard lasting that long. I could be wrong of course.
Any compounding that I do will be by hand so not too aggressive.
I think I'm happy that I'll do no damage.

Like you I suspect the coating was done whilst the car was new.

Top Bottom