Suspension flat / Fault code: 'B22/3(Rear level sensor) No signal'

Snake Charmer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S211 E320 CDI 2004
I kept the solenoids off my original air springs, will they fit?

OP
N

Nod

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 2004 S211
I kept the solenoids off my original air springs, will they fit?
Depends what type they are. I have only seen Aerosus ones and the two I have are Aerosus ones, these are the small Rapa ones (P/n : B4-SV1 Z001A01).

Pictured are the huge great circular solenoid design(left) and the smaller Rapa type one alongside, which are the ones I need. In the bottom pic you can just make out the damaged hose inlet, caused by overtightening
1712668591214.png
1712668670034.png

OP
N

Nod

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 2004 S211
Very hard to find x2 of the solenoid valves(2nd hand). For some reason you can get them in Poland where people seem to have them and resell them for about £25 each. However, all the online places are written in Polish and for the best part do not deliver to UK. I bit the bullet and ordered x2 new from a German Auto Factors place for about £41 each and the delivery of about £18. Bout a hundred quid all in. Expensive for x2 little valves possibly(isn't everything though nowdays?) but it will give me x2 brandnew Aerosus struts as these ones are new and unused, other than missing the valves. I have seen you can get cheap unbranded replacements(Chinese?) for about £90quid each but I reckon the quality will not be very high at all and expect the Aerosus struts to last a good few years hopefully.
Can't wait to get it back on the road!:)

N.B : Think my repairs on the old struts held up for about 1 year, probably wasn't really worth the time spent taking them on and off about 3 times, patching them up with vulcanising cement and suchlike etc. Suppose though I did get a years extra use and to learn how the system/ struts all came apart and got quite good at taking them on and off, not that its a particularly nice job. On my Mothers car, same as mine, the repairs seems to be holding up for longer, its been on there about a year and still seems to sit nice and high. Defo worth having a spare strut on the shelf, should a side fail. I think its a good system in certain respects, despite all the bad press it gets. To be kept optimally It does need to have decent condition airstruts and be maintained and inspected. I.e, the sensor and bar mechanism kept nicely lubricated(greased) and preferably water/weatherproofed, as well as the pump and intake air filter kept in a decent condition. Think also inspect the unions on the airline and loosen/ tighten /grease them up abit, so they can be easily taken on and off in the event of problems, knowing they are not too baked/ corroded in. I also greased/ cleaned all the splitter T-Piece up, they can get very messy/ rusty looking which could well lead to fractures etc in the long run would think. Also worth checking the airline for any rubbing or fractures. Also when you got the electrical connectors off, then grease them abit, they can be fiddly to get off after years of not being disturbed and you can apply too much pressure and possibly damage the wires or plugs themselves when they stubbornly refuse to come out. Think abit of light grease carefully applied does help if they have to be unplugged again, which given the 'fragilty' of the system is a distinct possibility (or in my case anyway it is!)

Last edited:

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom