Tax Exempt

w123rob

Reaction score
:confused: does any one know when my 1979 230 c pc will be tax exempt is at 30 years ie 2009 ///////////// W123ROB

ba9rn

Reaction score
I believe they stopped that little earner. The cutoff date is 1973 - any car newer than this will never be exempt, as it stands. Though there are petitions doing the rounds to move the date forward. Don't hold your breath!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Ba9rn is correct, the dates are stuck back too 73 as things stand.

Malcolm

OP
W

w123rob

Reaction score
thanks lads looks like this goverments trying to tax us out of existance cheers rob

S

stevex

w123rob said:
thanks lads looks like this goverments trying to tax us out of existance cheers rob

Along with destroying the NHS, our once great education system and our criminal reform system. But then that would be getting political!:rolleyes:

Silver Arrow

Reaction score
I believe that it was actually 72, but if you could prove that your 73 motor was really built in 72, they would allow it. (I have a 74 in the garage that I'm still pondering over!)

Hibbo

Reaction score
Silver Arrow said:
I believe that it was actually 72, but if you could prove that your 73 motor was really built in 72, they would allow it. (I have a 74 in the garage that I'm still pondering over!)

Aye, I'm pretty sure it has to be pre 1st Jan 1973 to be tax exempt. The Labour government abolished the rolling 25 year rule when it came to power in 1997.

But as Silver Arrow says, it's when the car was BUILT, not registered, so if you can prove (normally via chassis numbers) that it was built prior to '73, you can claim tax exemption. I know a guy who successfully did this with a mk1 Manta.

I wouldn't expect this to change - this is the government (well, the civil servents who run the country) who refuse to accept that vegetable oil is a biofuel and eligable for the tax break.

Out of interest, does anyone know what the rules are in other countries?

ba9rn

Reaction score
At the risk of sounding political, I never understood why folks with ancient cars pay nothing for road tax anyway. Maybe a scheme where they are only used to drive to classic meets or whatever, and are restricted to a few days per year would be fairer. I prefer the way it's gone now (not that my car qualifies) where road tax rate depends on vehicle emissions.

(awaiting the flame war!)

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom