Thanks Dieselman

Lacy

Reaction score
Hi, my E300TD was displaying all the symptoms of a kn*ckered glow plug so a quick search of the archives pulled up a post by Dieselman from August 2002 that gave a step by step guide to changing them. BRILLIANT. I have just finished the job, 2 hours end to end (and that was taking my time with coffee and fag breaks), £70 for a set of glowplugs and the jobs a goodun. (now that's better than £350 from the stealership!). The only real difficulties (and they were more awkward than difficult) was getting the EGR clamp off and getting at the rearmost plug. The car has only covered 33,000 miles so I was a little surprised they had gone so early though the car was almost 5years old to the day when they first went. I suppose glowplugs fail after a certain number of starts rather than a certain mileage so 5 years ain't too bad......

Thanks again Dieselman.

musunge

Reaction score
I'd love to find it!

I too have a W124 300TD with 250k with the symptoms of several u/s glowplugs, to the extent that it will not start at all now the temperature rarely rises over 1 degree!

I would love to find the post by dieselman describing exactly how to replace all six glowplugs, but I have searched the archives and I can't find anything! Maybe the post from 2002 has become too old and dropped off the bottom, or maybe I am just useless at searching.

If I have enough info I will give it a go myself. The thought of getting a plug stuck or stripped terrifies me, though. I also cant see how you can reconcile having the engine as hot as possible with 1hrs work to remove the air filter and inlet manifold....

Can someone PLEASE locate or resurrect this post for me?

OP
L

Lacy

Reaction score
This is the thread

Hi, My car is actually a W210 E300TD so it is likely to be different to your engine.

This is the thread that I found usefull

http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?t=843&highlight=w210

I know there is a lot of problems with the new generation glowplugs snapping off but maybe mine are a little more robust, at least I had no problems getting them out.

I got the engine warm but not stinking hot and, as the inlet manifold is on the opposite side of the engine to the exhaust, the heat wasn't a problem at all.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom