the head is off!

JamieD

Reaction score
blimey, only took me 5 weeks to get it all done... I was cought out by the little 13mm bolt that sits on (what I presume is) the thermostat housing. I've attached a pic in case anyone else can't find it. (thanks for all the advice so far, I would have given up on week one if it weren't for all you clever folk!).

With the head off I have found that;

The pistons are heavily coated with carbon type build up, and the rear piston (nearest driver) has a bit of movement - previous compression tests were all good despite a bit of piston slap.

the valves on one side are coated with carbon, the others with a light brown dry deposit (similar to spark plugs) - is this a normal look, or would it point to poor mix or other problems?

Would anyone know of a good product to use to clean these parts, and if the head bolts are stretch bolts, or can I clean and re-use?

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 70

merc-tech

Reaction score
The head bolts are stretch bolts so replace them
I have found that wd40 and a bit of elbow grease will shift alot of the carbon build up

johnnycapone

Reaction score
WD and scotchbrite, a green abrasive stuff (similar to the stuff your missus cleans the dishes with).
Regards
John

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom