Tire Wear on E-Class Sedans - Survey about tire wear on E-cl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Max Edelhauser

New Registration
Reaction score
Please let me know what your experience is with tire wear on E-class cars, and in particular on E320W model year 1997.

Here is the reason: My MB serice manager tells me that E-class cars do not get more than 30000 miles on their tires. I would like to proof him wrong.

Thanks to everyone

Max

Andy

Reaction score
Website
www.mercedesservicing.com
Tire Wear on E-Class Sedans

Hi Max,

I think if you can get 30k out of any E class tyres you are doing extremely well. I think you will find it difficult to prove him wrong.

When the E class (210model) first came out. It was soon noticed that they eat tyres. Especially the outer edges. MB reply was to make sure the tyres were rotated on a regular intervals. Whereby you were then left with having to replace all four tyres at once. In saying that the wear characteristics are different.
Any car with the with a bit of power. The tyres fitted to the driving axle always wear the tread out from the middle outwards. The front tyres always take the shoulder off. Something to do with the power steering. So by swoping the tyres front to rear you effectively wear the tyres in a different place. Only if the tyre wear is excessive, will I advocate checking the wheel alignment.

Now don't get me wrong. Some of my customers have reckon they can get this sort of millages out of there tyres. But E classes are heavy cars. With a lot of power. Well the 320's do. When you use that power. The weakest spot is the tyres. Hence they get punished.

Hope I have made some sense.

Glad to see you tuning in from America.

Regards
Andy @www.mercedesservicing.com

johngreen11

Reaction score
Website
www.aspectgroup.co.uk

I think tyre wear also has a lot to do with the rating of the tyre. V ratings wear out much quicker than H.

On my 96 E300D it came with 4 new tyres when I got it in June 2000. All Dunlop SP200 Sports. 3xH and 1xV
The V went at 20,000 on the back and the H at 30,000 on the back. Both front have outside edge wear with about 4mm after 34,000.

David Halsey

Reaction score

Take your E class to a good alignment shop

Get them to set it at :
Front +1.00mm @ stub
Rear -0.5mm @ stub
this will help reduce to outside edge wear
Roadholding will not change in any noticable way

Status
Not open for further replies.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom