To Sprintshift or not........

johnb80

Reaction score
I'm currently looking at a couple of Sprinters to carry my radio controlled models around in. I intend to fit additional seats and have windows fitted in the centre area, models etc in the back.

The first one I'm looking at is a 2001, 313, 250,000 miles and looks mint.

The second one again 2001, 313, 350,000 miles , aircon and Sprintshift.

I'm attracted to the one with aircon because I like to be cool BUT I'm concerned about the sprintshift. I have automatic cars and I had an automatic transit which I assume is similar to Sprintshift. I don't want to buy something thats going to empty my wallet, that gets emptied by model aircraft :D

Comments please on any aspect of the above, and please be kind to this newbie.

Many Thanks - J

Sprint'n'Go

Reaction score
Having experience of both aircon and sprintshift I would say not to have the sprintshift, and the aircon would be nice but it's far more important to choose the best vehicle than one with aircon.

I am sure there must be owners of sprintshift vans that have had no problems but the horror stories keep surfacing so the safest route must be a manual. The vans you are looking at have high mileage (350k) so if the box goes wrong you need to be able to get a replacement from a breakers and that will be a whole lot easier with a manual.

OP
J

johnb80

Reaction score
Thanks, thats pretty much what I'd thought having read some of the postings on here, are there any other weaknesses on Sprinters? I've always had Transits in the past and know them well but fancied a change this time.

I've has a quote to have aircon fitted which I thought was very reasonable (£1200) so now I can just look for a good van and forget the toys.

My shopping list so far:-
Sprinter £????
Aircon £1200
Side Windows £ 250
Triple Seats £ 200
Twin Seats £ 170
Table £ 73
Soundproofing £ 140
Rustproofing £ 130

So all I need to find now is a Sprinter.

Regards - J

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom