Towing with e300 auto turbodiesel

comfort zone

Reaction score
Hello,
I have recently purchased the above 1997 estate vehicle. I tow a caravan a few times each season. I know there are those of you on here who share the opinions of a Mr Clarkson regarding caravans, but I'm sure I can redicule you on your hobbies or pastimes given the opportunity. ;)
My question is regarding additional gearbox oil cooling. The caravan club reccomend additional oil cooling, and I have contacted Kenlowe whom I have previously purchased an oil cooler from and they also reccomend fitting an additional oil cooler,(well they would wouldn't they!).
My mechanic says that e300 diesel estates were made to lug weights around and Mercedes have made allowances for this.
The car has done about 140,000 miles and had a towbar on when I purchased it. The caravan will weigh about 1242kg fully loaded and will be towed mainly in this country but occasionaly in parts of France.
Your views and thoughts will be appreciated.

John :)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hello John, OK as your outfit is no light weight I would fit a cooler, better safe than sorry, the cost is so small in relation to the damage that over heating can do. Fit one, and I hope the weather improves for you.

Malcolm

OP
C

comfort zone

Reaction score
Thanks malcolm for the advice.
I have had the vehicle up on a lift and looked underneath and around the engine compartment. There is no room to fit one! It was bad enough when I fitted one on my previous car, a Volvo T5, but this if far worse, there is just nowhere for it to be fitted. I have contacted Kenlowe who supplied the oil cooler and spoken to a very helpful gentleman, and the only advice he offered was that, " it would be very difficult"! Is there anyone on this forum who has actualy towed with this model car,and fitted an auto gearbox oil cooler? If so, how and where did you fit it? :(

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E300TD/1998/3.0 Diesel
Hi

Speak to the dealer, when then quote for fitting a towbar i think it includes the oil cooler in question, it might already be fitted if the fitted bar was done by the dealer.

OP
C

comfort zone

Reaction score
230K said:
Hi

Speak to the dealer, when then quote for fitting a towbar i think it includes the oil cooler in question, it might already be fitted if the fitted bar was done by the dealer.

I bought the car second hand and have no idea when the towbar was fitted or who fitted it.
As I said I have looked under the car to see how much room there was, I think me or my mechanic would have noticed, thanks anyhow.;)

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
OP
C

comfort zone

Reaction score
Blobcat said:
I think you may already have one fitted. Pls look at item 95 on the attached link http://www.detali.ru/cat/oem_mb2.asp?TP=1&F=210225&M=606%2E962&GA=722%2E608&CT=F&cat=45Q&SID=50&SGR=015&SGN=01

If this is not your car then the check the 1st 6 No.'s of your VIN against the attached and keep clicking until you hit the radiator page.
http://www.detali.ru/cat/oem_mb0.asp?TP=1

Thanks Blobcat.
That looks very much like the setup under the bonnet of my car.The first 6 numbers of my vin are wdb210 and do not appear to fit in with whats on the second link.
My car is in the workshop at the moment so I cant verify this but should be able to later on in the week.
Thanks again.:)

Last edited:

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
comfort zone said:
Thanks Blobcat.
That looks very much like the setup under the bonnet of my car.The first 6 numbers of my vin are wdb210 and do not appear to fit in with whats on the second link.
My car is in the workshop at the moment so I cant verify this but should be able to later on in the week.
Thanks again.:)

Hi Comfort zone,
It is the first 6 Numbers of your Vin that you need, not the first 3 letters and first 3 numbers :rolleyes:. When you find your Vin No. put it all into this other Russian site and it wil list out all the original fitments.
http://www.mbclub.ru/mb/vin/?lng=eng

OP
C

comfort zone

Reaction score
Blobcat said:
Hi Comfort zone,
It is the first 6 Numbers of your Vin that you need, not the first 3 letters and first 3 numbers :rolleyes:. When you find your Vin No. put it all into this other Russian site and it wil list out all the original fitments.
http://www.mbclub.ru/mb/vin/?lng=eng

Blobcat,
Hello again, and thanks again. Please bare with me, I think I'm getting there.:cool: I have put in the full vin wdb2102252a477643 and found the original spec as you said I would.
I also followed the second link you gave me (correctly this time I hope), and found part 95, which is indeed an oil cooler (gearbox I think), so looks like I have one. Perhaps you could check this for me to confirm that I have used the system correctly?

Very useful information, shame some of it is in Russian!;)

Thanks, John.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi John,

Yes you have used it correctly. Item 95 looks like a transmission radiator to me.

OP
C

comfort zone

Reaction score
Blobcat said:
Hi John,

Yes you have used it correctly. Item 95 looks like a transmission radiator to me.

Ok, thanks again. I will assume Mercedes have made allowances for caravaners! :)

John

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom