Transmission Help- PLEASE!

benzo1

Reaction score
My 1984 190e Mercedes has a serious transmission problem. I can achieve first gear, reverse, neutral, and park. However, the car won't shift out of first and into second while in Drive. I was told the transmission was shot, so I ordered a new one. This transmission experienced the exact same problem. First gear and reverse only. The replacement transmission sent to me also had the same problems. I am beginning to believe it isn't the transmission itself. What electrical component causes the transmission to actually shift gears while in Drive? And/or what else would cause this perplexing problem? Please HELP!

jibcl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500,ML55,SLK280
could it be to do with belt tension within the gearbox.

jib

OP
B

benzo1

Reaction score
190e tranny problems

know i don't think so i was thinking along the lines of it being a electical problem.

wscheffer

Reaction score
Website
www.scheffers.com
Governor Pressure

Check the governor pressure :?:

If their is no governor pressure, the drive gear for the centrifugal governor may be broke. Not allowing enough pressure for the gear change.

Hope This Helps!

OP
B

benzo1

Reaction score
I'm hearing rumblings about the possibility of the fuse for the BMC (?) controller. Would that be the same as the "Transmission Controller"? If so, does anyone know where to locate that particular fuse and/or the contoller itself? How about the Vehicle Speed sensor? Could that cause this problem (the same problem has shown up in THREE seperate transmissions installed in the vehicle) ? And where would that particular part be located?

Top Bottom