Tyre Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

p902

Reaction score
I'm going on a 200+ mile journey this weekend and decided to have my tyres checked out this morning. The front drivers side tyre is too worn on the outside and will need changing. The other front tyre is OK(for now, they say).

I just bought two Michelin Pilot tyres for the rear about 3months/2000miles ago. The purpose of this post;
Will it make more sense to just buy two more new tyres for the front or is it OK to replace just the worn tyre with a new one?

Will that cause unevenness?

I was reading tyre reviews and the Good Year Eagle Ventura seems to have better reviews than the Michelin Pilot, and costs less to boot.

Does it make any difference if you have different tyre makes on a car?

Replies needed asap...Thanks.

willydog

Reaction score
i would say the minimum requirement is to have the same make of tyres on the same axle as different brands of tyres will have different grip
characteristics.

if the other tyre is 2mm or less i would change it at the same time.

mlc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 S320, 2003 SLK230, 1972 350SL
P902

I note my learned friends comments and essentially agree with their comments for an ideal world. However after many years in fleet managment I would add a couple of real world items:

Ideal is to have four matching tyres, but its not essential. Most drivers would be unable to tell the difference between the major makes so go for a brand that you are happy with at a price you can afford. Ideally it is best for the front tyres to be fitted in pairs because they then have matching wear. It is far more important that they have a similar depth of tread than are the same pattern because the "feel" is mainly related to tread depth.

Finally get rid of tyres early. A tread depth of 2 -3 mm is totally legal, but isnt going to stop you as quickly as a new tyre. Tyres are expensive but not as valuable as Mrs P902 and the little P902's (or even the car!).

Hope this helps

Mark.

mjtray

Reaction score
I know that not everyone will be happy to go along with what I have done, but here goes;

I purchase my tyres off e-bay.........you have lots of people trading up to alloys or different size alloys, which means that there are often very good hardly worn tyres for sale.

I have just purchased 2x 195/65/15 Michelin Premacy tyres, hardly worn, still have the bobbly bits on the side for £15 each including wheels.......personally I'm delighted with the tyres and I've saved myself roughly £60 per tyre.

I know that people consider this to be a risk as you don't know how the tyres have been treated, but I always carefully inspect them and so far I have never had a problem.

I also agree that you should if possible always put the same brand on the same axle and always put the tyres with the most tread on the rear.

OP
P

p902

Reaction score
Thanks all, for your prompt replies. 2 new tyres it shall be then for the back and the rear ones will move to the front.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom