URGENT HELP needed for insurance purposes

OP
E

e55

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E class - year 2002
Cleverdicky the slk is not the other car, that was a mondeo.

Julesg007 - i wouldnt rate their customer service or claims handling very highly. They are cheaper than most insurers with their multi-car policy, but will not be going thru them when renewing. Went thru broker on previously and had no probs when my brothers car was vandalised, as broker dealt with everything.

cleverdicky

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MB
I'd say 3 grand and your unrecorded car back to fix yourself would be a satisfying conclusion :)

OP
E

e55

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E class - year 2002
Would 3 grand cover the repair costs as well as resetting the computers and everything? As it also needs a radiator/condensor and associated parts

Last edited:

julesg007

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC 250 D AMG
Thanks for the update.

I think your posts have actually raised more questions than answered.

I don't quite understand where you stand - sorry I know that sounds dopey but please bear with me.

You say that an engineers report values your car at £4,700 but has an estimate to repair the damage been done? Until that is done Admiral won't know the costs to get the car repaired or have I missed something?

A while back my own car had an altercation with a skip truck whilst parked up. The car went to a Mercedes approved accident repair centre where they inspected the car and produced a detailed estimate to repair the car and it was only after this was done could any form of decision be made.

Trying to pull out the figures from the fog of my memory, the car was valued at £8,400 and I think the write off threashold was 70% or just under £5,900. The repairs costs quote came in at around that amount. In the end the final cost was a fair bit less as some of the works didn't need doing. Here is a link to a thread I started to show the damage; http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?t=63006

Perhaps you could clarify things.

I thought long and hard before switching over to Admiral but the price was very good for the mutli car policy and it gave me a pretty good saving over 2 seperate policies - I just hope it doesn't turn out to be a decision I regret.

cleverdicky

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MB
Would 3 grand cover the repair costs as well as resetting the computers and everything? As it also needs a radiator/condensor and associated parts

Did your airbags trigger / fire ? A good general fault code reader like the autel 702? will reset srs after fitting a replacement steering airbag if needed. You may also need a seatbelt/s pre-tensioner.

Also were your rads damaged / much ? many of the parts on these cars are little more than thin metal or plastic and easily refitted back into position or replaced. Expensive and shiny though they are. Panels and trim must be replaced, repairs never look good and always a giveaway. But aside from that you should have no serious damage from appearance. Those RSJ's under the bumper skin will take an awfull amount of impact before they give, same too with crumple points. I'll be surprised if you even needed a new water bottle, and if your rads have gone a whole rad pack can be had for 3-5 hundred from breakers. Same to with headlight and panels and check ebay of course. If you did want everything replaced with MB new parts + front end respray, you might well be up to 1500-2000.
If you can scource some parts cheaper and do the simpler stuff yourself, guessing from your pictures, I would easily see that done for under 1k.

But whatever you do never ever skimp on the respray or try yourself. :rolleyes: even if it costs an extra 3-500
A good independant would do a MUCH better job and even help with fitting and alignment etc. Essential !

julesg007

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC 250 D AMG
Was wondering if you had an update?

OP
E

e55

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E class - year 2002
Hi all sorry have been away for a while.

So far liability still not been accepted even though independent witness states it was other guys fault.

Julesg007 merecedes approved repairer quoted 7k to repair- parts approx 4k

Cleverdicky the airbags never went off.

At the moment where i stand is that the independent engineer they sent out to look at the vehicle and give valuation doesnt know his rear end from his elbow. He has been valuing the car as a w210 model rather than the w211 even though they have the pics of the car.

They m.d. of the company even wrote me an email saying that the w211 car ads i sent them were not reasonable and that the ads he sent the insurance (which were w210 models) were more reasonable match to the actual car.

After much to-ing and fro-ing he wouldnt give an explanation for this. so the insurance person is speaking to their supervisor and looking into this.

I'm in no rush to settle as im waiting for liability to be accepted. once thats done i willbe in more of a position of advantage

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
That was a bad mistake thinking a 210 the prices bear no resemblance at all

julesg007

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC 250 D AMG
Thanks for the update.

OMG £4K just in parts alone - some of them must be pretty special.

Makes you wonder what planet some people are on - a supposed expert that doesn't know his ar*e from his elbow - well there's nothing new!

Hope you get sorted.

cleverdicky

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MB
Usual insurance delaying tactic. So glad you can wait. Is the car drivable, have you been driving?
Nice assessment value still even if the guy was a dik. It means if they do pay you should get a nice amount to repair yourself with.

Do *watch out * for the "we believe its 50/50 liability" and therefore knock for knock.

Did the other driver speak to you after the incident? Did you take any pictures of the scene, road markings/ Any police bother to turn up?

drdel

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 e class 350 cdi est
On some policies we can all make the choice as to whether you want it to cover 'uninsured losses' by paying a bit more. House insurance 'legal cover' sometimes covers your liability to others but they can wriggle on motoring matters.

If not you can be held personally liable if you are held liable for causing an accident. So since you believe yourself to be the 'injured party' there are stuff you can claim from the otherside personally, which if necessary can be done through the Small Claims Court as a civil action.

Have you written to the other driver and to said you will hold him/her responsible for your uninsured losses - alternative transport hire/fares, storage costs etc etc?

You must inform the driver in advance that you hold him/her directly responsible but you must also ensure you mitigate these, your costs, so as not to be accussed of 'over egging' your claim. You can't subsequently claim costs you haven't warned them are likely to be re-claimed from them.

cleverdicky

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MB
Good advice but nearly all insurers are specific about NOT contacting or discussing claims with the 3rd party. And if you were to (in a private claim) that could give insurers an opportunity to pad it out even longer and not even pay at all, assuming that instead your trying to bypass them or worse still claim a settlement from both.

Also insurers offer an option (for an extra premium) for legal cover and also help recovering claims. ****** cheek if you ask me, as an insurer should be doing just that anyway. Otherwise the public may as well could go direct to underwriters and do our own running around. Which at times most have to anyway.

OP
E

e55

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E class - year 2002
called them today to see whats happening with liability and told still waiting for reply from other company

OP
E

e55

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E class - year 2002
Hi all, finally managed to come to an agreement with the insurance in relation to getting it repaired. i will need some help in sourcing some parts if anyone can help.

I need a pair of headlights part no's: 21182011561 & 21182011461,grille,bonnet & amg bumper for a 52 plate e class.

All help would be much appreciated

R

rigel

Great thread, I’ve learnt a lot reading through it.

E55, I presume you get to keep the car and a repair payout. Did the insurance remove the cat C listing off the car?

Regards, R.

OP
E

e55

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E class - year 2002
yes they

Rigel: yes i get to keep the car and the cat c listing will be removed.

OP
E

e55

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E class - year 2002
Thanks to all for their help and advice

R

rigel

great thread to read, and glad it has all work been worked out in the end.

thankyou to all for enlightening my into the way our cars are valued by the insurers.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom