W124 1992 230TE Auto gearbox. Intermediate plate gasket change

Brian23

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
EClass
**I am not a mechanic, only a DIY person. Follow MB WIS sheets or manuals where posible, as I cannot be sure that I have not missed something.

As of my last thread 'No Reverse gear.1992 230TE Automatic'. I have today changed the intermediate plate gasket, as this is one of the reasons why you can loose reverse gear. I cannot tell you if this has rectified the problem yet, because the sump gasket needs replacing, so I will have to do that first and re-fill the gearbox. Anyway, just in case this is of some use to anyone going to do this I also took some photos during the operation.

1) Drain the gearbox and Torque converter. The drain plug has to be got into the correct position by turning the crankshaft pulley, while someone watches for the plug to appear (See photos)

View attachment 10242
2) Then remove the sump from the gearbox. There will still be oil in the sump, so get ready to catch it. Remove the filter by undoing 3 screws. Keep the screws and any small components in seal bags so that they do not get lost. You can also write what the part is on each bag. * make sure that you take the filter seals off the gearbox as they sometimes stick.

***I see that only 1 of the photos have attached*** I can email to anyone who wants them.
View attachment 10246
View attachment 10246
3) Remove the Valve assembly, buy undoing the bolts. There are 2 kinds of bolts so I made holes in a box and put the bolts in sequence (See photos).
View attachment 10248
View attachment 10247
**Put all part from the gear box on a very clean surface and protect from dust and dirt. I put them onto a clean plastic bag and covered over with the same.
View attachment 10249
4) Remove the electrical plug from the back, righthand side of the gearbox.
5) There is an arm that has to be removed, can't remember it's name and I do not have the sheet on me. It is on the R/H side of the Intermediate plate. It is clearly shown on the WIS sheet.
6) Unbolt and remove the intermediate plate, with the oil tube and gasket.

7) Check the gasket, mine was split. if you need to replace it, unbolt the small plate on the top and the gasket can be removed. Clean all surfaces **With lint free cloth or a strong paper towel, that does not give off bits and replace the gasket. Line up carefully and bolt the small plate back on. Clean the surface of the gearbox and re-attach the intermediate plate and bolt back on.
8) Bolt the arm back on, Plug in the Electrical plug.
9) Bolt on the Valve assembly making sure that you engage the yellow plastic, Range selector lever with the driver rod.
22 valve on.jpg
10) Bolt a filter back on
11) Put the Sump (Oil pan) back on.
12) Fill with Fluid.

I hope this makes sense and is of some help. It is a simple, but time consuming (around 5 Hours) job. Wear a hat as the fluid drips everywhere.
**As I said earlier, I would not attempt this without the MB WIS sheets or a manual, telling you the sequence and Torque settings for the bolts.

When I fit the new Oil pan Gasket I will let you know if it solved the problem or not.

Last edited:

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom