W124 E220 Reduction in oil pressure

Status
Not open for further replies.

AJN

Reaction score
Apologies to those who read my last post and i am repeating myself but i am concerned about this one and felt it should have its own post.

E220 W124, 85k miles, 1994

After a run where the engine reaches 80 deg celcius or above the oil pressure reduces. This only seems to occur when i stop the car and it is still in gear.

The needle doesn't drop that far - I wouldn't even say it was as far as 2.5 on the meter.
Although it is only a small amount I'm concerned because it has only recently started to happen.

Is it the age of the beast and it's miles? If this is the case would a slightly thicker oil help?

Arnie

Reaction score
I would not worry about it. Mine drops to below 1.

The type of oil you use has a great deal to do with it. Synthetics tend to be thinner and this will cause an apparent drop in pressure. But the pumps are positive displacement types so it does not necessarily mean that there is less oil circulating. If the oil is thinner and flows more freely in the channels and galleries, its back pressure will be lower.

OP
A

AJN

Reaction score
Thanks Arnie

I think the general concencus is that i am be worrying about nothing. Better to be safe than sorry though.

Reaction score
Oil Pressure

I think this has all been covered but in my handbook it says a pressure of 0.3 bar is ok at idle as long as it goes up immediatly when moving off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom