W124 Estate - UK model variants

Status
Not open for further replies.

hirsty

Reaction score
Apologies, but I have done a search in this (and other) forums: Does anyone have a link to reliable model-variant information for the W124 Estate please?

We are looking to buy a mid-1990's Estate as a second car, based on everything I've read about this fantasically long-lived and over-engineered quality car. It will be a general family runabout with a mixture of town & motorway use, with steady monthly runs up to Yorkshire too (500 mile roundtrip) with a mileage of 10-15,000 p.a

Having scoured the AutoTrader regularly for a few weeks, a late-model seems in budget and includes my only must-haves of aircon + autobox. Trouble is knowing where to start - there are so many variants and a facelift or two in there! :D

Grateful for any steer towards understanding which variant is which.

Geoff2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1999 W220 S320
The W124 estsate in the UK was available in 200E, 230E, 300E, 300TD and I think a 300E 4matic

Ade

Reaction score
Hirsty

In answer to your question, I've had a 1991 7seater (5 Kids) 230TE Auto(113K miles when bought - 124K now) for almost a year now and apart from some minor problems have no complaints. I do a 220 mile motorway round trip every Sunday and it's also my general run around car. It returns around 26-28 mpg so for its size and the load its fairly economical.

In that year, I have spent less than £200 on mechanical bits and bobs and consumables to keep her in shape (and a few bob on cosmetic stuff) so it's been fairly inexpensive there as well.

I find the 2.3 engine has more than enough grunt for my needs and is fairly inexpensive to maintain. I believe the 3.0 engine although superior in performance can be expensive to run and maintain and is obviously more complicated. The 2.0 engine I'm led to believe under powered. Maybe others can offer further insight.

So to sum it up, my needs are fairly similar to those you describe and I would recommend a 230TE. 1990-1995 models would appear to offer good value for money. Great Cars :D

Reaction score
W124 estate car

I would agree with you about the long life over-engineering etc - these are wonderful cars. I have a late '95 E300 Diesel; fuel consumption is about 30 mpg "around and about" and about 37 on a long run (aided by cruise control). I have had the car 18 months (bought with 126K on the clock, now with 144K)and have replaced a glow plug and various sundry items but nothing expensive. I service the car my self and change the oil every 4500 miles to account for lots of short journies.

I would recommend '95 models as they were the last of the line, most of the problems were sorted out and and are likely to have less stratospheric mileages than earlier years. If you wnat to carry out any work the Haynes manual covers models up to '93 and the W124 Bible by Stu Ritter covers the rest.

Happy hunting

graeme Morpeth

Bolide

Reaction score
Website
www.w124.co.uk
Your Mercedes
BMW 525 Diesel Touring
W124 variants

Hirsty

I have a simple breakdown of models on my website at

http://www.w124.co.uk/modelrange.html

I agree with most of what has been said on this topic. The later cars are the best bet and the late-model multi-valve diesels are superb

The normal problems with W124s are rust and electrical failures. Check the wheelarches carefully and test everything electrical. Aircon always fails at some point so bear that in mind...

Mileage is not an infallible guide to condition - many well-serviced high-milers are better than low-mileage cars used infrequently. Drive as many cars as possible and choose carefully. Be picky - apart from the diesels there are lots of cars out there...

Good luck!

Nick Froome
http://www.w124.co.uk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom