W124 Luggage blind / net

John Turner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S124 250TD (1989), S124 E300TD (1995), S211 E320 cdi Sport (2007)
I wish to replace the luggage net on a w124 estate roll blind (1995 300TD). I have located a new net, but am having problems removing the end cap off the overall blind assembly in order remove the old net and insert the new one. The luggage cover blind is fine. The blinds are evidently similar to a window type blind, with a sprung spindle in the middle. One end slots neatly into a pivot in the end assembly, and the oher has a metal clip to hold the sprung roll in place in the other end cap. The problem is getting the end cap off, and which end cap to go for! I assume it is better to remove the one with the metal clip inside, because this will allow tightening against the spring. I have tried to knock the end cap off by inserting a blunt piece of wood inside and knocking with a hammer to dislodge the cap from the roll blind assembly, but to no avail. There is a tiny ( less than 0.5mm - by look of it) hole in the back of the end cap / blind assembly which might be a tiny allan screw, but I do not know - it looks too small to hold the end cap on. The end caps are glued I think - looks rather like an Evo stick type glue. Clearly the main assembly is an alumininum structure, covered in a rather delicate vinyl type coating.
Has anybody taken one of these assemblies apart? Does anyone have any tips? Many thanks

Bolide

Reaction score
Website
www.w124.co.uk
Your Mercedes
BMW 525 Diesel Touring
Alarm Clocks

John

When I was a kid I took my parents alarm clock apart to see how it worked. I was very careful but, despite my care, there were a few springs missing afterwards and it never quite worked again

Many years later I took a W124 blind assembly apart and it transported me back to when I was eight. Springs boinging out everywhere!

It's possible to retension one of the two blinds & reassemble it but I couldn't get two to retension. I wish you good luck but think it'd be easier to buy a new secondhand one on eBay

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

OP
J

John Turner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S124 250TD (1989), S124 E300TD (1995), S211 E320 cdi Sport (2007)
Thanks Bolide. So far 3 out of 4 folk have advised that if I take the blind assembly apart, I will have enough parts left over to build a transistor radio!
However, I am hoping not to take the thing to bits entirely, but instead remove one end cap, pull out the net roll, insert the new one, and tap back on the end cap. Sounds easy - I know it is probably not!
Visualising the blind in position in the car, the left hand end cap contains a female socket for the flattended spindle end of each blind roll, each of which has a felt lined small metal flange about 3 cms long, 0.5 cm wide, and with bent ends through 90 degrees which must secure the spring in the blind under tension. I have no intention of taking the spindle and springs apart!!!
The right hand end cap contains the male pivots which locate into the ends of each roll.
It seems to me possible that if I remove the right hand end cap, then maybe I can locate the blind roll in the fixed end cap at the other end of the blind assembly. I assume that I may have to turn it aginst the internal spring before locking it by the metal flange? So far I have failed to remove the end cap though! I would be very grateful if anybody can tell me whether this will work or whether I will still have enough bits falling out to build that radio.
Replacing the net is the last thing I need to do to bring my multivalve late E300TD into near perfect condition, so any advice is much appreciated, but I intend to proceed with caution! The interior is mushroom leather, and it has taken me a while to locate a matching net. I think it unlikley that I will find a virtually new unscuffed complete blind in this colour.
Thanks
John

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom