Status
Not open for further replies.

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
Hi all,
just to put a small spanner in the works, before you buy an oil burner, just do the maths. Diesels tend to be more expensive to buy used than petrols i compared my reasonably priced guzzling petrol to the frugal but expensive diesel the dealer lent me. When I actally did the numbers, it worked out that the cost per mile is around 3p more for the petrol. Sounds like a lot, but it only really works out at £360 per year for an average mileage so you may need to do a lot of miles to cover the difference in purchase price. Admittedly you probably get it back on the trade in, but lose out on the performance in the mean time. May still make sense in your case, but I can't make it add up in mine.

OP
E

Ednamillion

Reaction score
jberks,

Hi, I'm beginning to feel like a moderator for this thread but hey, I started it, I guess....

My situation is psychological really. As I indicated above motor tax for this size (3.0l) engine, in Ireland, is quite a bit. Add to this insurance (not so bad) and repayments (1 year only) and it all adds up - but, in my mind, I can handle these costs.

I am having real difficulty continually dipping into my pocket - week-in, week-out - to fuel these things. Putting fuel in is my real problem (and as a compulsive driver - it is a real problem). Hence I want to reduce this aspect of motoring costs and hence looking to diesel. (In fact, when I do my sums the diesel will cost me 3euro/month more than my current Galant - but the fuel costs are about 32euro/month less - equals happier days :D )

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.....

Edna'...

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
I understand the psychology - I struggle with it all the time. I hits me generally as I watch £80 a week disappear into the tank!
Daft question, but have you considered LPG? Its too expensive to convert a car - quote was >£2k for mine, but if you are buying, there are a few about on the used market. I don't know what the tax is like over there, but lpg here is 32p per litre. Just a thought...

OP
E

Ednamillion

Reaction score
jberks,

LPG in Ireland isn't as generously looked upon by our Dept of Finance over here. It's not very widely available and I haven't checked recently but I'd imagine it's costing 70 - 80 cent (48 - 55p) a litre versus 99 cent for pertrol (and diesel!).

So the saving is there somewhat - though not as great as UK - and availability is a problem. Otherwise I would consider it certainly.

Edna'...

dieselman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A diesel
Personally I wouold go for a 3.0D 24v.
It will move nIcely and return nearly as many MPG as a 12v model.

It will feel more relaxed to drive but that can be more a feeling than reality.
Only a 200 / 220 will come close in terms of MPG and they are definately rougher and slower than a 300D.

Overall reliability from the D versions is excellant but watch for cutting out due to a dodgy engine wiring loom on post '94 models of any type.

Oh yes I'm very biased, but only because I have tried petrol and diesel cars of many types.
Seriously unless you buy a very abused car you cant go wrong with a 124 300D, you'll have a friend for life. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom