W140 1996 S 500 Coupe - Xenon/HiD Lights

Reaction score
Situation:-

Lights are pants - have tried the upgraded carlos fandango bulbs from Osram and yes they help but the lights are basically woeful.

Mission:-

Does anyone know of a factory fit Xenon for this car? if not does anyone know of a source that isn't 'Barry's backyard Motors under the Arches' that could do a decent retrofit?

TIA

OP
B
Reaction score
Cheers.

Spoke to a dealer today who said they didn't do them for the 96 model. But is hall keep looking i just find the lighting so weak its annoying - contemplating using a HID kit and leaving it at that.

jibcl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500,ML55,SLK280
did you find a solution to the poor headlamp problem on the CL500, my headlamps are pants too and ive spent a small fortune on different bulbs with no visible difference, the only ones I still havent road tested are the 100w jobbies which I will try soon, any info muchly.

jib

OP
B
Reaction score
I bought a set of HID replacement bulbs for the dipped beam from www.hids4u.co.uk

They do the job - only on full beam i now have a orange/yellowy glow from the main lights as the new ones are so whitey blue.

jibcl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500,ML55,SLK280
so how easy is it? did you do it yourself, is it possible to have the xenon or hib on both dipped and main beam, I tend to find my dipped beam to be worse than high beam.
jib

OP
B
Reaction score
I got someone else to do it for me. Make sure if you order from these guys that they understand what car its for as the normal cables weren't quite long enough apparently and they had to go back for longer ones. I got it done by the chap who looks after my car whilst i am away.

Not sure what year your car is but mine is a 96.... anyway you have a seperate bulb for both dipped and main. I changed out the dipped as that is what i use the most and was also the worst.

When you switch on the lights you don't get instant light - but it takes several seconds for them to heat up to full strength as it were. You can have a second set of bulbs put into the main beam as well - but that is overkill i think. Unless you do a lot of country driving down lanes i would give them a miss.

Am also considering getting some LED's for the sides as they now look a little yellowy. Have a look at the site above and if necessary give them a call to chat about it. My car had H1 bulbs.

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom