w202 hot start trouble

mike merc

New Registration
Reaction score
Can anyone help me before I have a major breakdown. I have a 1995 c class 220 elegance automatic. The car starts from cold first time, but, after it has been driven for a while; if I stop for petrol or to shop, nearly always refuses to start. It can be over an hour or even three to four hours before the car will restart. Over the past few months it has had new plugs, leads and a new crank sensor. I would appreciate some good pointers before I have to remortgage the house. Many thanks in advance.

Stevie A

Reaction score
A guess would be to try replacing the engine temperature sensor that sends info to the ECU. You can test the sensor with a volt meter first though to see if it has correct resistance at specific temperatures. Info in Haynes.

Either that or some other component is heating up and not functioning until it cools down.

hakulmi

Reaction score
where is that sensor

Hi, Can you tell me where is that sensor SL500 -92.
What resistance should be?

Ultymate

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C230K Estate 1998
More likely to be your crankshaft position sensor these tend to go intermittent before they fail altogether usually fail when warm then come to life when cooled down again. Yours should look like No5 in the attached schematic

Attachments

• csensor.jpg
    csensor.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 50

hakulmi

Reaction score
chassis number

Hi

First 9 digits of the chassis number please.
Today 04:27 PM

1290661-059132
I think it is 4-pin connector and resistance was 2.6kohms in 20 degrees. It is ok?

regards
Mikko

Last edited:

BarryG

Reaction score
Three things mentioned in the Haynes for your model being difficult to start from hot are.

Air filter element dirty or clogged.

Fuel injection system faulty.

Low cylinder compressions.

Barry

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I will go along with the crankshaft sensor, its the in thing now for poor or non starting hot cars.

Malcolm

Gee82

Reaction score
I will go along with the crankshaft sensor, its the in thing now for poor or non starting hot cars.

Malcolm

Would this also cause a dip in performance and smooth running when the engine is hot?

My W202 C280 also struggles to start when hot and coughs and splutters into life. Also becomes slightly sluggish also when hot.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom