W202 Replacement Dilemma

niva441

Reaction score
As you can see from the classified section, I think the time has come to replace my wonderful W202 C250TD. There's nothing actually wrong with it and, unusually for me, I haven't grown bored with it. However at the moment I'm racking up 2000 miles a month (even though I only drive the car twice a week) and she isn't getting any younger.

The biggest problem I'm having with this car is what to replace it with. As I've just sold my house, cash isn't an immediate problem. Well not until I realise I need a roof over my head. After having a Mercedes I can't have a normal car, only a Mercedes will do.

As I will need another house at some stage and have a natural reluctance to spend money (less so for cars), my final choices aren't too exotic. I've narrowed it down to either a couple of years old C270 or, in exchange for a smaller house, a new C220 Sport Coupe.

I've tried going through the pros and cons, but not actually managed to achieve an answer, any ideas?

SLinKyjoe

Reaction score
go for a ride in both, then come back and tell us you have ordered the C270.

MondeoMan

Reaction score
Spend the money on the house, whatever is left spend on the car. A new car might be nice right now, but it'll be worth a couple of grand in 10 years time, unlike any money you put into the house.

OP
N

niva441

Reaction score
I tried both a 270 and 220 a couple of years ago. Unfortunately I tried them in the wrong order, otherwise the 220 would have been fine.

However really the 220 is everything I need, but a 270 engine in the Sport Coupe is what I really want.

Last edited:

James Edwards

Reaction score
I am in the same situation, 250td sport silver Est 153k - where do I go next???? Going v well at present & I enjoy driving it!
Fancy C270cdi est - they say thay are better from 2004 onwards but cost is an issue.
James

F

fwb44

niva441MondeoMan said:
- Have you been speaking to my mother?
I am your mother - and I am always right, and always know what's best for you, and I say - BUY THE CAR! And then you'll have no money for a house - and so you can live with me, and look after me FOREVER!! You know you're too good for this world

mjtray

Reaction score
Niva441,

Just keep driving the 250.....these things are capable of 500,000 miles without breaking sweat.....Taxi drivers love them.

At least this way you won't suffer the depreciation problems associated with a newer car.

Whats the current mileage on your car?

Topboy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 SLK 250 AMG & 2002 ML270CDI (for the Mrs)
jeremytaylor said:
By all means try a 220 Coupe and a 270, but I would be mightily surprised if you didn't chose the 270.

I love mine.
I test drove both and it was always going to be the 270 for me.

Had a split second though on the fact that I could save a few grand on the 220, but that's all it was.

Lovely car. I'de advise on seeing what deals the MB dealership has on one of their ex demos or directors' cars. I saved about £8,000 off book when I bought a three month old 270cdi estate which had about 7,000 miles on it. It ended up being cheaper than a new 220 with the same spec.

OP
N

niva441

Reaction score
As I'm really looking for a Sport Coupe (don't need the saloon's length and rear seat) I tried the 220. It's significantly improved aver the prefacelifted versions, which I never thought looked worth their price. Performance is certainly adequate, however the engine is a bit rough compared to my 250.

As I'm not greatly impressed by the deal the Merc dealer is offering, I've even been considering BMW's. Which is pretty significant for me having worked for them at Rover and being less than impressed with a 318TDS.

At the moment a couple of year old 270 is starting to gain favour and save shedloads on depreciation and main dealer servicing charges. Particularly as the fuel consumption is little different.

OP
N

niva441

Reaction score
Went to the Merc dealer and tested the Sport Coupe. Overall I was happy with it, much improved over the earlier models, although the engine was a bit rough.

Started talking numbers with the dealer, it seems they weren't interested in doing much of a deal, particularly with regard to my current car. Evidently marque loyalty isn't rated too highly.

So I started looking for alternatives. Checked out the spec of the BMW 1 series. In simple terms it's cheaper, faster and more economical, plus with the fixed servicing deal I won't be fleeced by the dealer.

So, much as I've never been a BMW fan (particularly after working for Rover/Land Rover), I've order a 120d.

The major problem with it will be spending the next couple of years apologising for the badge.

Thank you for all your help, I''ll be back.

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom