W203 Footbrake warning sports coupe 2002

coolpot

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c180/2002/1.8p
Hi

I am having a problem at the moment, sometimes when i pull the lever to remove the footbrake, i drive off and car beeps and still tells me to remove it, if i keep doing this, eventually it stops its usually when car has been parked for hours, definatly if its been over night the following morning it will do it. seems to be getting worse, the other day i was driving along and it just started doing it.

Any ideas? Thanks :)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
coolpot said:
Hi

I am having a problem at the moment, sometimes when i pull the lever to remove the footbrake, i drive off and car beeps and still tells me to remove it, if i keep doing this, eventually it stops its usually when car has been parked for hours, definatly if its been over night the following morning it will do it. seems to be getting worse, the other day i was driving along and it just started doing it.

Any ideas? Thanks :)
I think if you oiled the parking mech; bits both side at the rear wheels, and the cable in the middle it will be OK.

Malcolm

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
As it's beeping I'd put my foot under the pedal and see if I could lift the pedal further.
Also put the car on a slight incline in neutral and see if it rolls. This will indicate whether your brakes are actually binding or whether you simply have a maladjusted switch on the pedal.
Chances are, it's just the switch, either incorrectly adjusted or faulty - minor either way.

OP
C

coolpot

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c180/2002/1.8p
thanks, no the brake itself is fine.

its interesting because i wonder if it is related to when the garage fixed the brake.

Basically, on the actual footbrake itself, it stopped making the click click noise when you put it on and then i pulled over as i felt something under my foot, which turned out to be a piece of "cog" from the pedal!!(allthough brake allways appeared to be working) It had the "rachet" parts replaced, now it makes the usual rachet sound again.

Flying Scot

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 500 R129 1995
oh my human intervention - it sounds like the switch is wrongly set up just by a smidgen but as you have discovered just enough to ocasionally not be fully open or fully closed - whichever sense is needed to signal that the parking break is fully released - back to the garage and get them to set it up properly.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Flying Scot said:
oh my human intervention - it sounds like the switch is wrongly set up just by a smidgen but as you have discovered just enough to ocasionally not be fully open or fully closed - whichever sense is needed to signal that the parking break is fully released - back to the garage and get them to set it up properly.
I can only agree with Jberks and flying scot.

malcolm

OP
C

coolpot

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c180/2002/1.8p
thanks all :) will try and arrange to get it back in garage! allthough service time in 400 miles!! £240 for a A service :/

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom