W210 estate irritating trim rattle in boot

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Owned the estate for 15mth now and during that time I've noticed that something in the boot rattles over bad road surfaces at times. It's taken a few attempts to identify the cause but eventually I've managed it.

The rear trim panel which is removed to access the spare wheel is the culprit. The flat bottom section of the trim panel is moulded plastic which when fitted into place sits straight onto metal. Unlike the trim panel on the opposite side of the boot, which is hinged, this panel has to be removed completely in order to take out the spare wheel.

As there is no hinge on the spare wheel panel it is free to bounce up and down over rough surfaces.

The remedy is to glue either thin rubber or carpet, cut to shape, onto the metal surface beneath the panel thus eliminating the rattle.

It only sounds a small issue but after a while these things start to grate and arn't a characteristic of why you bought a Merc in the first place.

Hope this helps anybody with the same problem, I've noticed one or two comments about this on threads.

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
malcolm210 said:
Owned the estate for 15mth now and during that time I've noticed that something in the boot rattles over bad road surfaces at times. It's taken a few attempts to identify the cause but eventually I've managed it.

The rear trim panel which is removed to access the spare wheel is the culprit. The flat bottom section of the trim panel is moulded plastic which when fitted into place sits straight onto metal. Unlike the trim panel on the opposite side of the boot, which is hinged, this panel has to be removed completely in order to take out the spare wheel.

As there is no hinge on the spare wheel panel it is free to bounce up and down over rough surfaces.

The remedy is to glue either thin rubber or carpet, cut to shape, onto the metal surface beneath the panel thus eliminating the rattle.

It only sounds a small issue but after a while these things start to grate and arn't a characteristic of why you bought a Merc in the first place.

Hope this helps anybody with the same problem, I've noticed one or two comments about this on threads.

You are as bad as me, I hate any noise/ rattle, pleased you solved yours

Malcolm

clive williams

Reaction score
malcolm210 said:

Malcolm,

On our W210 estate (Oct 2001) both rear panels are hinged. The hinges consist of two plastic hooks, which fit into corresponding oval holes in the floor panel. These holes are lined with rubber grommets to protect the plastic hooks. I've noticed that I have to be careful how I remove the panel as I can see it is easy to break off the hooks.
Did yours have these hooks?

Clive

500E
E320CDIT210

OP
malcolm E53 AMG

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Your right Clive!
I thought the fuel filler side panel was hinged ala 124 estates but it isn't its the same as yours. For some reason only the spare wheel panel rattled on my car, although they are both the same design, but the above mod has cured it.

A litttle bit of poor design I'm afraid, obviously the real engineers work on the more serious parts of the car lol.

OlafMaxwell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W210 E320 CDI Estate
There is a screw fitting to hold the spare wheel in place, stops the rattles. It is screwed through the plastic tray into a threaded nut on the reinforcing rib. It takes about 10 attempts to align it so most of them go missing. If you can mek a small plastic guide it is easier to screw it in. The tools, towing eye etc if left loose will also rattle like hell. Solution is to wrap them in an old towel which is also useful for cleaning if you get a puncture.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
OlafMaxwell said:
. The tools, towing eye etc if left loose will also rattle like hell. Solution is to wrap them in an old towel which is also useful for cleaning if you get a puncture.

I have done that on every car that I have owned, apart from one ,that was my 1928 RR, the tools were all stored in the boxes in the running boards,every spanner had its own cut out, and place. In many respects, we have not moved on that far.

Malcolm

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom