W210 - spare wheel, bolt sizes?

Parrot of Doom

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Was an E300TD, now a Lexus LS400
I'm still waiting for the utterly useless garage I bought my car from to source me a spare wheel (tbh I reckon I'll just go and buy my own).

Do I need special bolts for the spare? Its an E300DT saloon, 1997.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Theres a thread you need to read titled:

Spare wheel nuts disaster

Posted on this forum a couple of weeks ago. To cut a long story short the steel spare wheel comes supplied with much shorter wheel bolts which you should find with the spare in the boot.

Under no circumstances attempt to fit the steel wheel with the alloy wheel bolts which are longer or the result will be irrepairable damage to the hub (read very large corrective bill)

All is revealed in the thread.

OP
Parrot of Doom

Parrot of Doom

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Right thanks. Are the spare bolts a standard size that I can order anywhere, or do I have to visit a stealer?

clive williams

Reaction score
Parrot of Doom said:
I'm still waiting for the utterly useless garage I bought my car from to source me a spare wheel (tbh I reckon I'll just go and buy my own).

Do I need special bolts for the spare? Its an E300DT saloon, 1997.

Parrot,

Yes, you will require special bolts if you fit the standard steel spare wheel. Both the spare and the bolts sourced from a stealer will be expensive (besides MB only did it to cut cost). Why not buy an alloy to match from e-bay? It'll be cheaper than the Merc bits, you won't have a problem with bolts, you'll have a wheel that matches if it's fitted and then you can get some wear out of the tyre that's fitted to the spare instead of it spending most of it's life degrading in the boot.:rolleyes:

Clive

500E
E320CDIT210

OP
Parrot of Doom

Parrot of Doom

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I'd thought of that, unfortunately the car has the older style Merc wheels on (8 hole?). I think the last owner possibly spent money on nice wheels, flogged the originals, then when he sold the car he bought some cheapy Merc wheels and swapped them. It would explain why the wheels all around were so badly out of balance.

I reckon I'll stick with a steely, and possibly buy some nicer wheels in future.

Bumper

Banned
Reaction score
Here is the difference in the bolts between the alloy and the steel wheels.

Attachments

• Bolts.jpg
    Bolts.jpg
    1.3 KB · Views: 84
OP
Parrot of Doom

Parrot of Doom

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Blimey. What a stupid system.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom