W211 320 I6 vs V6

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
Well C's and E's all gained extra mpg when the 7 speed was fitted. And the S and ML.
BMW now claim more mpg from their 8 speed auto than you get from the 6 speed manual. Remarkable. But all these things are fairly marginal. Pick what you like best.

Yeah, but have a look at 0-60 times of C and E 220CDi's that have the 5g box and the 7g box. The 5g cars are appreciably quicker, and whilst the forum people may say thats only 0-60, I bet with less changes, they are faster in gear.

So, 7g makes the car slower.

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
Yeah, but have a look at 0-60 times of C and E 220CDi's that have the 5g box and the 7g box. The 5g cars are appreciably quicker, and whilst the forum people may say thats only 0-60, I bet with less changes, they are faster in gear.

So, 7g makes the car slower.

Have you got some figures to back that up St4. I only ask because when I last looked the figures were very similar. The S class for example. And the 220cdi estate. Isn't the 212 series 220cdi about the same performance as the 211?

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
I saw them on mb website. Over half a second in it for like for like cars. Don't compare 211 with 212, different tyres, aerodynamics etc. like for like a 5g will hump a 7g car but the 7g is more efficient.

frstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
320 CDI W211 Estate
I'm in a similar situation as to the OP. My C250TD Sport Estate has given me almost 6 years of faultless and enjoyable service, and is still going strong at 235k miles. But rust will kill it at some point and I fancy something bigger. I am therefore considering a W211 Estate, probably want AG spec, with a few extras, but the question of which engine is the thing I've not sussed.

Certainly the heart says the 320CDI is the obvious choice and I've been reading up on the merits of the V6 vs I6. I would not be against the I6 although it means a pre-facelift.

I like the 5 cylinder in my current car, so if I went for a pre-facelift and the price was right I might consider the 270CDI option. (Of course the 220CDI should be considered from fuel consumption point of view...)

The negatives that people post about the 7G box worry me somewhat - I would have thought the 7G would win hands down over the trusty 5G box, which isn't exactly the fastest changing box in the world.

Oh, choices, choices!

paul hayward

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
all MB sold..V70R now ;-)
I'm in a similar situation as to the OP. My C250TD Sport Estate has given me almost 6 years of faultless and enjoyable service, and is still going strong at 235k miles. But rust will kill it at some point and I fancy something bigger. I am therefore considering a W211 Estate, probably want AG spec, with a few extras, but the question of which engine is the thing I've not sussed.

Certainly the heart says the 320CDI is the obvious choice and I've been reading up on the merits of the V6 vs I6. I would not be against the I6 although it means a pre-facelift.

I like the 5 cylinder in my current car, so if I went for a pre-facelift and the price was right I might consider the 270CDI option. (Of course the 220CDI should be considered from fuel consumption point of view...)

The negatives that people post about the 7G box worry me somewhat - I would have thought the 7G would win hands down over the trusty 5G box, which isn't exactly the fastest changing box in the world.

Oh, choices, choices!

when we were looking it started to really do my head in:shock:....your get there in the end:D

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom