W212 E350 CDI Regeneration Issue

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
I don't recall all posts.
Can you be sure it isn't clogging with ash. following a regen I would expect fill levels to drop siugnificantly. But a high ash level will cause over regular regens, and more associated ash.

Be sure before replacing injectors. I had the 6 replaced a few years ago on a 642. The diagnosis was wrong, the issue remained, £1,630 wasted.

OP
A

Aston Dabb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212 AMG 2010 E350 CDI
Might be time to get injectors checked.
Injectors have been checked they were all ok apart from cylinder 2 which was leaking externally; had that replaced and I feel the fuel consumption is actually higher since that was replaced and DPF still malfunctioning. @mersum1es I don’t have any symptoms at all of a hole in the piston it just runs far too well

OP
A

Aston Dabb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212 AMG 2010 E350 CDI
I don't recall all posts.
Can you be sure it isn't clogging with ash. following a regen I would expect fill levels to drop siugnificantly. But a high ash level will cause over regular regens, and more associated ash.

Be sure before replacing injectors. I had the 6 replaced a few years ago on a 642. The diagnosis was wrong, the issue remained, £1,630 wasted.
The DPF is brand new as we thought this was the cause.. turns out 2 days after fitting it REGEN and 2 days after that REGEN!! The fill level drops to 0 when regen has finished, but then rises abnormally fast again and causes another regen. All injectors were tested prior they’re all ok

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Ok so for the DPF to fill so quickly you're over fuelling. That can only be leaking boost circuit (hoses, intercooler), EGR, or PCV or injector.
Possibly also bad MAF or failing that it's burning oil.

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
My over regular regens were due to oil passing some where. But you're confident that isn't the case.
Consumption was terrible also.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Run it without the dpf in place and take a visual look a true smoke that's coming out of the engine. It's surely cost you a lot in £££ whilst guessing with bits :)

Jake954

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212 E350cdi -09
I have pretty much identical issue. 350cdi, never any warning lights or errors, power is good, runs good. But the regen interval is 100-200km. like a clock.

I have changed differential sensor, boost pipe seals, exhaust temp sensor, lambda sensor. nothing makes any difference. with icarsoft 3 I can see that after regen the differential pressure is nice and low 10mbar, normal driving 30-70, heavy acceleration maybe 200.
(how ever icarsoft 3 don't show realistic values in the actual view data menu, you have go to service menu diesel particle filter, replace as new and the final page shows you the values more realistically. just don't push the actual as new)

I have also had the dpf professionally cleaned, no change. and even when taking of the dpf it didn't seem clogked or very soothy. just white from ash.

If I follow the soot collection, the icarsoft shows that the soot grams go up around 1g each 10-20km. regen starts at 7grams or so? not sure does carsoft show this realistically. this is also from the new dpf filter service menu. Around that 100km the differential pressure is also higher, and starts to be 100mbars even at normal driving, so there is more sooth probably in the filter.

strange thing is also that the dpf service page shows lambda value at 0 for first 5-15km of each drive, during this the soot gram doesn't go up. usually when lambda starts to show something also the soot starts to go up. like it's not counting it at the start. (changed new lambda which changed nothing)

I do think the regen is needed at this point as the sooth is probably there. why it is, not sure, during uphill or moderate acceleration the lambda value is quite low, even 1.1 occasionally, so maybe the balancing act between soot and nox is failing and the engine is too much on the soot side.

this car has it's swirl laps removed, so that could be part of it. maybe this close to the limit it would need those to burn clean.

remuspur

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w212
Any update? I have same issue from last 4 months, I change injectors, maf, lambda sensor, dpf pressure sensor, clean the dpf.
Still no change, still fill really fast, notice is filling fast when is going down in revs, like from 3000 to 1000 can fill with 1-2% in 100-200m.

Top Bottom