W220 Airmatic Suspension conversion

Shin

Reaction score
I have been scouring the internet since my W220 S320 is in need of rear suspension, and came across this, has anyone tried this would anyone reccomend this pro's & con's i have no idea all i know is the airmatic is going to cost me a kidney at least from the quotes im getting.. I have spoken to them and they are gonna call me back with a shipping cost.Click on the link & let me know your views.:confused::confused:

http://www.strutmasters.com/Mercedes-S-Class-Air-Suspension-Conversion-Kit-p/-mb-4-s500.htm

3point14

Reaction score
Could you maybe elaborate on what you are faced with and the costs for a MB repair / replacement. Thanks.

OP
S

Shin

Reaction score
Airmatic conversion

Hi 3point14

Basically My w220 sits so that i can get 2 fingers between the arch and top of the tyre on the rear, if i try to raise the car by pressing the raise button the car will not raise although the message on the dash reads "Vehicle Rasing", if i carry passengers in the back the car there is no gap between the arch and the tyre and will not lift, either automatically or manually by pressing the button on the dash the display reads "Vehicle Raising" but again nothing happens, (The car has 19 in amg wheels dont know if that makes a difference) i have been told that i need the rear struts replacing, im a first time Merc owner and i love the car but the cheapest costings are around the £1000 mark from euro car parts, i have called GSF they do not stock them, KMS were £675 each for the rears. With the car almost 9 years old wondering how long before the fronts need changing thats my reason for asking about this conversion, if any one has any ideas on what i should be looking at or for please let me know. of if i should or should not be looking at this conversion and why. i dont know much about this car having only owned it myself for 4 months.

Sorry for the long post but thats my scenario.

thanks

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
It sounds like a very interesting option and a lot cheaper than going down the MB route.
2 questions I'd want an answer to though.
1) How do you install it so you don't have warnings flashing up on the dash all the time
2) WHat will your insurance company say?
Just a shame you can't drive one - I see no reason why they couldn't do this and make it work but being American it's likely to make it a lot sloppier than UK spec.

jibcl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500,ML55,SLK280
Only problem I can forsee is when a coil breaks how do you go about getting a replacement.

jib

OP
S

Shin

Reaction score
all the feed back seems positive as far as warrantee they offer a full life warrantee and free replacement even should you be involved in a collision stated on their website..
with regards to the warning lights on the dash in the kit is a set of terminators for the loom to turn the warning lamp off.. click on the link for all details, but im guessing you would have to stump up for shipping both ways.

they seem to have done the research in to the kitt.. funnily enough a company called arnotts are developing a similar system as of Jan this year but not currently on sale either in the USA or UK.

Last edited:

matthewm1965

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1999 W220 S500L, Toyota Supra Mkiv, 1970 Triumph GT6
£1000 for a replacement strut seems very expensive. Are you sure that was not for all 4?
I could be wrong (I usually am) but I'm sure I was quoted £250 a corner plus £400 for the pump.
How much for they quoting for the conversion?
Edit: Just looked at the website for their prices. Don't look too bad, but how much to fit?

Last edited:
OP
S

Shin

Reaction score
Sorry the £1000 was for both rear struts inc VAT from Euro car parts, (Mathewm1965 where did you get a quote for £250 from as this would be my cheapest & quickest method), whereas i could have all four from strutmasters inc shipping from the states for about the same money, I guess what im asking is would it be advisable to change from airmatic to conventional shock & spring setup & would would the possible drawbacks be if any.... as i said this is my first merc so the learning curve is huge..

fitting is not an issue as i have a friend who would fit them for me...

thanks

matthewm1965

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sorry the £1000 was for both rear struts inc VAT from Euro car parts, (Mathewm1965 where did you get a quote for £250 from as this would be my cheapest & quickest method), whereas i could have all four from strutmasters inc shipping from the states for about the same money, I guess what im asking is would it be advisable to change from airmatic to conventional shock & spring setup & would would the possible drawbacks be if any.... as i said this is my first merc so the learning curve is huge..

fitting is not an issue as i have a friend who would fit them for me...

thanks

I got the quote from the local indie that I use www.prestigeservicing.co.uk

I need a new pump for mine as this one is weak but not failed yet.
I would always recommend keeping the car original, but thats just my opinion. If you replace the struts now, they will probably outlast the rest of the car.

OP
S

Shin

Reaction score
Spoke to prestige late yesterday was going to call back but has'nt as yet but he did say no way could he do them for that money (£250:00). he cant buy them for that, which is about right from all the calling around ive done.

Matthewm1965 Are you sure that wasnt for the top seal repair kit?.

thanks for the contact though..

matthewm1965

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Spoke to prestige late yesterday was going to call back but has'nt as yet but he did say no way could he do them for that money (£250:00). he cant buy them for that, which is about right from all the calling around ive done.

Matthewm1965 Are you sure that wasnt for the top seal repair kit?.

thanks for the contact though..

It might have been for just the seal kits, it was a few months ago now, I just remember him saying £250 a strut and £400 for the pump. Though £250 to fit a seal kit seems a lot.

Hope you get it sorted.

OP
S

Shin

Reaction score
Just had a call back from prestige quoted £511.00 each inc VAT... OUCH

Top Bottom