W221 S350 not starting (doesn’t even try) after service.

OP
D

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI, S350 Bluetec
T87 stuff done.
Wheel sensors done.
Car has not faulted since.

I have told Nick he can take the car home over the weekend, if it faults, he will have his kit on him there and then. I did tell him to avoid every pot hole.

I’m collecting it on Monday lunch time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
I didn’t realise this saga had got to be 11 pages long good luck with it hope they’ve finally found the fault

OP
D

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I didn’t realise this saga had got to be 11 pages long good luck with it hope they’ve finally found the fault

Well I’ve only seen one ‘S350’ no start issue as ‘resolved’ in all my searching of the www.

The rest are all open ended despite similar issues and having ECUs, SAMs, starter motors, EIS, gear selectors etc get replaced by garages and dealers, with the issue ongoing or the thread ends.

We are at the top spot on Google now for an s350 not starting

MB centre do not do courtesy cars, if Alex or Star do then it may be a case driving it down if it happens again.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
I share your enthusiasm for sorting it especially if it’s a good car and there is always that element of not being beaten half the battle is finding the right Electrical Technician to take it to nowadays

OP
D

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I share your enthusiasm for sorting it especially if it’s a good car and there is always that element of not being beaten half the battle is finding the right Electrical Technician to take it to nowadays

A good car is understatement. The service history and maintenance in my ownership is beyond OTT so nothing other than new can compete. Before that is was a genuine 2 owner, low mileage, regularly serviced car with, all the docs to support in detail. I can assure you no other w221 or car will be maintained like my cars.

A 2013 w221 s63 5.5/65 could be a possibility but it’s a bit like an apple never falls far from the tree. I don’t want to have to do all this work on another having learned about their common issues.

I don’t fancy anything new/modern as you all know what I think of new stuff and this example cements when I say the complexity is beyond that of reasonably skilled techs, leaving the owner stranded. My 95 Supra and 98/00 Volvos run like new and have never skipped a beat or had an issue/breakdown, and I know they will out last anything new without a sweat.

OP
D

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Car collected.

I took a detour home so I could use it enthusiastically and it performed very well, just like it was before the service, gearbox no longer holding a gear under enthusiast use on upshifts, which it did immediately after the service in November.

4f4f07c9faeab875718218b3f7a2a867.jpg

I’ll check my dairy but will do some more test drives on Fri/Sun this week but, really need about 2 weeks so I will report back.

OP
D

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
15/04/2024

Terminal 87 relay changed.
4 x New wheel speed sensors fitted.
Car collected.
20 mile detour home, car performed amazingly like it did before the service. The gearbox did not hold gears under enthusiastic use. The car is as responsive, fast and smooth as it’s was before the service.

17/04/2024

Car started perfectly.
Left it running for 10 minutes before switching it off.

19/04/2024

60 mile test drive.
No issues.
Car performed amazingly in every sense. The effortless and relentless pace, as far round the clock as sir would like in just a jiffy is back. The gearbox did exactly what it should, when it should.

Let’s hope the car starts first time all next week too.

OP
D

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
15/04/2024

Car collected.
20 mile detour home, car performed amazingly like it did before the service. The gearbox did not hold gears under enthusiastic use. The car is as responsive, fast and smooth as it’s was before the service.

17/04/2024

Car started perfectly.

19/04/2024

60 mile test drive.
No issues.
Car performed amazingly in every sense. The effortless and relentless pace, as far round the clock as sir would like in just a jiffy is back. The gearbox did exactly what it should, when it should.

21/04/2024

Car started perfectly.
60 mile test drive was sublime.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
15/04/2024

Car collected.

17/04/2024

Car started perfectly.

19/04/2024

60 mile test drive.
No issues.

21/04/2024

Car started perfectly.

Fingers and toes crossed buddy !

OP
D

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
15/04/2024

Car collected.

17/04/2024

Car started perfectly.

19/04/2024

60 mile test drive.
No issues.

21/04/2024

Car started perfectly.

22/04/2024

Car started perfectly.
10 mile test drive was sublime.
I never start it and switch it off, so went for a quick run back/forth on the A52.

OP
D

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
15/04/2024

Car collected.

17/04/2024

Car started perfectly.

19/04/2024

60 mile test drive.
No issues.

21/04/2024

Car started perfectly.

22/04/2024

Car started perfectly.
10 mile test drive was sublime.
I never start it and switch it off, so went for a quick run back/forth on the A52.

24/04/2024
Car started perfectly.
Left it running for 20 mins, EML light on, quick drive and it was sublime in every way.

26/04/2024
Car started perfectly.
Drove to MB centre for code read. Car drove sublimely. nox sensor upstream code.

Nick the owner said they cleared and reset the adaption for the NOX sensor just in case it’s to do with the replacement ECU and cloning. He doesn’t want me spending money on sensors if they are not faulty.

All the wood is touched and I’m sure with the number of starts I’ve done now the no crank/no start issue that started this thread is resolved. I’m going to get a good few miles and use in this weekend and next and will write up a summary to conclude this next week.

Last edited:

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom