Warning sundrivehire do not use

AdamRT

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes SL 55 AMG
I'm off to Silverstone in a couple of weeks for the weekend and needed to rent a motorhome, I found Sundrivehire on the internet and they gave me a GREAT price :p

Now it turns out they are a scam and don't have any motorhomes and have let everyone down, also refunds aren't that easy to get either :(

So I am out of pocket and have no motorhome :cry:

I wonder if I can fit a tow bar to my SL55 :roll:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
So sorry to hear this news Adam:(:(

JEZ.S320L

Reaction score
Website
www.latorreonline.es
Your Mercedes
Lincoln Navigator and a S320L Business Edition
I'm off to Silverstone in a couple of weeks for the weekend and needed to rent a motorhome, I found Sundrivehire on the internet and they gave me a GREAT price :p

Now it turns out they are a scam and don't have any motorhomes and have let everyone down, also refunds aren't that easy to get either :(

So I am out of pocket and have no motorhome :cry:

I wonder if I can fit a tow bar to my SL55 :roll:

All is not lost. If you paid by CREDIT card, lodge a claim with the card-issuing bank and you will be entitled to a refund under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act. PROVIDING THAT - the cash price of the goods or services must be more than £100 and not more than £30,000.

I know it won't compensate for the lost weekend, but at least you won't suffer financially.

Last edited:
OP
AdamRT

AdamRT

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes SL 55 AMG
All is not lost. If you paid by CREDIT card, lodge a claim with the card-issuing bank and you will be entitled to a refund under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act. PROVIDING THAT - the cash price of the goods or services must be more than £100 and not more than £30,000.

I know it won't compensate for the lost weekend, but at least you won't suffer financially.

There was an extra charge if I used my Credit card so I used my debt card :( Lloyds/TSB are looking in to it

JEZ.S320L

Reaction score
Website
www.latorreonline.es
Your Mercedes

Emmafs

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
mercedes sls
i have used sun drive hire and whilst my motor home was cancelled by them, they gave me my money back in full, and they paid the extra i had to pay to hire another motorhome. i received all my money back from them within two days of them cancelling.

Wirral_guy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 CLK270cdi Avantgarde
i have used sun drive hire and whilst my motor home was cancelled by them, they gave me my money back in full, and they paid the extra i had to pay to hire another motorhome. i received all my money back from them within two days of them cancelling.

Hmm - a new user, 0 posts and praising a company that is being criticised on here. Can anyone smell SPAM!

daveyjp

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B160 SE Blue Efficiency
If you paid by a Visa debit card you can instigate a Chargeback. Do some internet research so you know what it is then contact your bank, don't be fobbed off if the first person you speak to has never heard of it. Tell them you want to speak to someone who understands the system.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/working_lunch/7347146.stm

JEZ.S320L

Reaction score
Website
www.latorreonline.es
Your Mercedes
If you paid by a Visa debit card you can instigate a Chargeback. Do some internet research so you know what it is then contact your bank, don't be fobbed off if the first person you speak to has never heard of it. Tell them you want to speak to someone who understands the system.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/working_lunch/7347146.stm

Debit cards are not covered under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act, as DEBIT cards are regarded as CASH, whereas CREDIT cards are a LOAN (which is why you sign a Credit Card Loan Agreement, when taking out a card) with shared and equal responsibility between the Lender (the Bank) and the Borrower (the person whose name the Credit Card is in).

And before anyone asks - yes, I used to work for a High Street bank dealing with - Chargebacks..!!!!! :p

S500 Pete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500 (W222) 2014. Turbo 4.7 V8 with loads of toys. Superfast luxury.
Hmm - a new user, 0 posts and praising a company that is being criticised on here. Can anyone smell SPAM!

Claims to have a mercedes sls as well. Smells even worse

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree

cool, that IS good. and you drive an SLS as well? wow. :neutral: or possibly not?.............

E

Espadril

I am beginning to wonder how long they held all this money they took from all those people who booked campers and motorhomes with them.

We are a very small motorhome hire company i.e. we hire our own camper out - and have had several calls from people who have been let down at the very last minute - usually the day before they were due to take the vehicle.

I have spoken to about 10 other small companies and they have ALL had similar enquiries. It seems to me that this is a nation wide issue. It must be hundreds and hundreds of people they have let down. If they take the fulll hire fee and the usual security excess required by the insurance company (in case of accidents and damage) that means it is another £500 on top of the hire fee, they have been holding a whole lot of money over the few months since that site was set up (Feb this year)!

Any idea how this company could have had so so SO many problems all over the country in such a short time ?

Does watchdog do anything about things like this I wonder. Who is likely to tell them though.

Last edited by a moderator:
E

Espadril

I should add to my last post that our price is reasonable but that is because ours is not a new van and more importantly we do not have to pay any agency fees to another company to take our bookings and so on.

We do all the bookings and advertising ourselves and take the whole fee. Those who rent out through an agency type company lose about a third of the fee to that agency/company.

Makes it even more difficult to understand if the company in question in this thread is actually using private motorhomes and campers for their fleet. They would need to add on a goodly sum to cover their advertising and staffing costs and the insurance company fee to sort the hire insurance out too.

It just makes it all the more odd if you ask me.

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom