Whats the paint like on your spare wheel, mines got surface rust?

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
I was surprised to find patches of surface rust on the CL500s spare steel wheel.
Worst effected part is where it rests on wheel well floor.
Guess it was put in wet and road salt etc. ... at least the wheel well was bone dry so no issues there.

I did a quick derust with some trustan 23, brilliant stuff, but noticed areas where its got under the paint. So its going to need rubbing down. Then respaying which will need a load of masking up due to all those advisory labels (apparently its an offence to remove them re future owners etc.)

Must say the paint quality is crap, all my others had thick glossy paint on them ... this is so thin it almost looks like a matt finish.

Last edited:

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
You're only keeping the car for two years, why bother?

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
I was surprised to find patches of surface rust on the CL500s spare steel wheel.
Worst effected part is where it rests on wheel well floor.
Guess it was put in wet and road salt etc. ... at least the wheel well was bone dry so no issues there.

I did a quick derust with some trustan 23, brilliant stuff, but noticed areas where its got under the paint. So its going to need rubbing down. Then respaying which will need a load of masking up due to all those advisory labels (apparently its an offence to remove them re future owners etc.)

Must say the paint quality is crap, all my others had thick glossy paint on them ... this is so thin it almost looks like a matt finish.

Have you looked under your back seat? My 2012 ML350 and my 2009 ML320 both have quite a bit of surface rust under the seat cushion. I think it is a Mercedes trait but nothing to worry about.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
My spare is like new. Doesn't look as if it has ever been used or taken out.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
I've never seen a rusty spare in any car I've ever had. Even the 212 and that doesn't have a spare!

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
You're only keeping the car for two years, why bother?

Well you never know, maybe the wife will get used to the size of it.

And I guess its just me, I just like it to be as good as it can within a reasonable buget of course. And a bit of paint doesnt cost much.

I am even going to derust the exhuast and paint that, boy the seaside does take a toll.
That said I might go for one of those Eisenmann Exhuasts the big pots on a 5.5L would sound amazing!
But I always worried do Merc rely on backpressure ( very little on those ). :)

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
My spare is like new. Doesn't look as if it has ever been used or taken out.

Likewise on my SL500 and thats 05 plate
And even the wifes A.Class 02 could be polished up and sold as new - not the trye that has deteriorated sidewalls :-/

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Have you looked under your back seat? My 2012 ML350 and my 2009 ML320 both have quite a bit of surface rust under the seat cushion. I think it is a Mercedes trait but nothing to worry about.

Blimey if you still have Mobilo bodywork warranty, Mercedes respayed both doors and rear wings on wifes A Class ... no fuss took it in and said rust seems to be dripping down from the mouldings, it was the clips on both doors cleaned up rust and resprayed the panels, also blended jn the front wings. Good proper job too.

Kinda evened out the overcharged service costs lol

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5

Blimey if you still have Mobilo bodywork warranty, Mercedes respayed both doors and rear wings on wifes A Class ... no fuss took it in and said rust seems to be dripping down from the mouldings, it was the clips on both doors cleaned up rust and resprayed the panels, also blended jn the front wings. Good proper job too.

Kinda evened out the overcharged service costs lol

If someone could tell me how to delete my pictures ai could post a pic of it!

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom