Wobble - Vibration - 1998 C240

c13tay

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 B200 AMG line premium
know this has been covered before but probably looking fo a little re-assurance. No problems with the original 10 holes.

Just put a set of 17" style 2s on my 1998 C240 elegance.

Got up to about 60ish on the motorway and a huge wobble started - so bad that I immediately slowed down.

went to my local tyre place - he said is itthe steering wheel you feel it or through the seat. I said both really.

He balanced all 4 wheels and sold me a part worn tyre too cos the rear nearside had an egg on the inside !!!!

drove out and all felt well ............. untill I got on motorway again.

It is no way as bad but is still bad enough. Going to go to a different tyre place again tonight and have them balanced again. hard to tell but it feels like its coming mainly from the passenger side front wheel. To be honest it feels like there is a huge flat spot on the tyre but the fitter said they were ok?

Ill get em balanced again tonight and see what is what. Assume this could be a tyre fault, a buckled wheel or they have just been balanced incorrectly

any other ideas ???

thanks

Chris

Update

Had the 17inch alloys re-balanced - things feel a little better but still not right.

Borrowed a set of alloys - still vibrating but not as bad.

So have now tried 3 sets of wheels / tyres and there is still a vibration there although to a greater / lesser extent depending on which alloys are fitted - worst with the 17s on !!!

To be honest it actually feels as if there is something loose at the front pasenger side or the tyre has a big flat spot - its more of a vibration than a wobble if you know what i mean. Seems to be felt throught the car rather than just the steering wheel.

Had a good look around while wheels were off - no obvioius signs of a broken spring or anything loose though

any ideas ??? Should probably change title to "car vibration" rather than wheel wobble !!!!

thanks

Chris

JonnyCJ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350 Grand Edition 2011, ML350 Sport 2010, VW Splitscreen 1965
I would check the following -

Are the wheel bolts correct for the wheels ? i.e tapered or radiused.

Is the bore of the wheels the same as the hub nose they mount on to ?

Has a spigot ring got stuck on a hub from the old rings ?

Are there any spacers involved ?

Try each wheel for kn4ckered wheel bearings

That's just off the top of my head - I'm sure some other helpful souls will post shortly.

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
So let me get this right.
The original tyres and rims are okay - your car is vibration free at all speeds?

If that is the case then the problem lies with the replacement rims and tyres.

Are the rims aftermarket or original Mercedes?
Do the rims have the correct offset, for that size rim, for your car?
Are you using spacers to fit them?
Are the tyres on these replacement rims new or second hand? From what you've said at least one is and it sounds like all of the others may be aswell.
Has the tyre fitter used stick on weights and is there sufficient clearance with your brake calipres?

Out of round tyres, bad balancing, warped rims, off centre wheels (MB rims are hub centric - some aftermarket rims are not), incorrect torque on the bolts - all can cause vibration.

OP
C

c13tay

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
bit of an update

re fitted original wheels and noticed that vibration / wobble is still there.

Got new tyres fitted - still wobble

Not really feeling this much through steering wheel - more through car.

seems to come in at about 65 -70 ish

not sure if its linked but if I brake hard from motorway speed get a big vibration

feels like front end has something loose

Ive had wheels of and pulled and poked everythig and cant find anything loose

only thing I have noticed is that on passenger side (which is where i suspect problem is) if I jack up car, and hold wheel at 3/9 oclock there is a certain amount of movement - I can see steering arm moving in and out slightly

Checked back through history and ther car had a ball joint replaced 2 years ago but it doesnt say which

beginning to think this is related to ball joints / bushes etc

Chris

OP
C

c13tay

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Further update -=

Just driven down a gravel road - compressed big white chippings

driving at maybe 10 mph the front end was banging / knocking etc

alc250d

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w202 c250d
take care.

Some of the national tyre fitting companies will do a suspension /steering check sometimes free or for little money.Get them to check:Steering gear play/joints,-top and bottom wishbones,-top spring seatings,-wheel bearings,-and oddly enough the condition of the rear disc brakes.
Keep your speed down,avoid motorways and get it checked out A.S.A.P.
alan.

Last edited:
OP
C

c13tay

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
thanks Alan

hoping its nothing too serious as it was like this before and after MOT the other week !!!!!!

Chris

OP
C

c13tay

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
not much of an update ..........

noticed one very strange thing though..........

when it is wet, the vibration is no where near as bad !!!!!

will be changing all discs and pads soon to see if that makes any difference

Chris

chris.d

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ml 270 2000.. saab 9.3 conv
i know you are concentrating on wheels because you changed them, but have you checked engine mountings.? and if it is a rear wheel drive ( not familier with your model) prop shaft joints

OP
C

c13tay

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for the reply Chris

Changing disc and pads first as I also have a bad vibration under heavy braking

If that doesnt make any improvement my next port of call will be prop doughnut and maybe prop centre bearing

Chris

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom