Yesterday

Dean Fletcher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes E400
I thought I'd take the car for a spin yesterday and after seeing of it flashed the parking was not released. Even though it was so I stopped pressed the barking brake and then released it then all fine. Obviously some is sticking somewhere. I tried spraying some release spray in the foot well brake lever area and doesnt seem to have done much. So tomorrow I'm planing on painting the calipers and thought I'd have a peak at the rear brake. Any advice is much appreciated as always. Ps I might also fire some new rear discs on aswell.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Most common place to stick is the balancing mechanism under the rear seat. The cable comes from the front then goes into a balancer arm distributing force equally to the two rear wheels. Lube the cables and arm and all should be good.
Some use a different system where the force is split near the rear diff. Same principle applies - lube the cables.

OP
Dean Fletcher

Dean Fletcher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes E400
Most common place to stick is the balancing mechanism under the rear seat. The cable comes from the front then goes into a balancer arm distributing force equally to the two rear wheels. Lube the cables and arm and all should be good.
Some use a different system where the force is split near the rear diff. Same principle applies - lube the cables.
Thanks LK I think mine has the mechanism near the diff. Will have a search to see exactly where its located.

RhodieBill

Reaction score
Central South Coast. (Previously Out of Africa).
Your Mercedes
2001 W208 CLK320 182U ALMANDINE-BLACK METALLIC
I thought I'd take the car for a spin yesterday and after seeing of it flashed the parking was not released. Even though it was so I stopped pressed the barking brake and then released it then all fine. Obviously some is sticking somewhere. I tried spraying some release spray in the foot well brake lever area and doesnt seem to have done much. So tomorrow I'm planing on painting the calipers and thought I'd have a peak at the rear brake. Any advice is much appreciated as always. Ps I might also fire some new rear discs on aswell.

I had this on the S Class, (I think - sorry, lose track) which can happen when the handbrake, (or foot in this case) is generally not used just depending on the Park.
What I did, knowing this can happen, is hold the Handle out whilst basically pumping the Hand/Foot Brake, (you know what I mean) a dozen or so times. Never did it again.
It basically gets sticky at the top of its travel combined with a weakening spring.

OP
Dean Fletcher

Dean Fletcher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes E400
I had this on the S Class, (I think - sorry, lose track) which can happen when the handbrake, (or foot in this case) is generally not used just depending on the Park.
What I did, knowing this can happen, is hold the Handle out whilst basically pumping the Hand/Foot Brake, (you know what I mean) a dozen or so times. Never did it again.
It basically gets sticky at the top of its travel combined with a weakening spring.
thanks ill have a go at this.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
It’s probably sticking because of lack of use during lockdown ?

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom