Yet another noobie

wildwoman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML 270
Afternoon all,

Names Maz, got 4 kids ( no that does not include a other half :cool:), various pets and im on the prowl for a new car after writing off my Kia Sedona on black ice mixed with a blend of farmers field/ embankment and a concrete block. I was gutted as I had only owned her 3 months.

Im quite fancying the look of the M class mercs but my budget is not very great. Small in comparison to some. 2k is my max budget at the moment.

Have found a few on autotrader / ebay / gum tree etcc.....

So, I am here researching as to what probs they may have, how great they are as they look nice and what are they like to run.

Ive been looking at these ones so far....

Mercedes-Benz M Class 2.7TD ML270 CDI 5dr 4WD

found a few under 2k....

So, that's me!! Nay great as far as intros go, but that's me and my zoo. :)

Looking forward to meandering through the forum gleaning info.

Thanks fer reading.

DREAMER NO2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 2.6E M103 1989
info

Maz nice of you to join the forum, and welcome . I would think that a car for your needs would be an estate.With all that extra room and space for the little ones. As i am in to older cars, i would just keep looking in on here, for answers to you post . :D

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
Welcome Maz. I would have thought the M class 2.7 Tdi 4WD is a great car for you, and you should stick with what you want. There are many on here own or have owned such cars, so will be able to help you, £2k does seem a tight budget, especially if that includes tax, servicing, insurance and putting right any niggles. If you post any cars for sale up here, people will gladly give you feed back. this is a great site if you are looking for a car, and most helpful. I could not have bought my SL without it.

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
with your budget your going to be looking at a high mileage 270, 150k+, ok it may be fine but for how long?

have youhad any thoughts on servicing, these are not the cheepest cars to run, although yes on the hole are realiable at that age something big could go wrong and write it off for you.

OP
wildwoman

wildwoman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML 270
Maz nice of you to join the forum, and welcome . I would think that a car for your needs would be an estate.With all that extra room and space for the little ones. As i am in to older cars, i would just keep looking in on here, for answers to you post . :D

Many thanks for your reply..

Fraid I don't like estate cars :) So nope, I wont be getting one of those.

Ive owned: Galaxy MKI and II, 2 lucidas, fiesta, 2 sedonas, Vectra estate, :)

OP
wildwoman

wildwoman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML 270
with your budget your going to be looking at a high mileage 270, 150k+, ok it may be fine but for how long?

have youhad any thoughts on servicing, these are not the cheepest cars to run, although yes on the hole are realiable at that age something big could go wrong and write it off for you.

Ive found one for 1800, 160k miles on the clock, full service history, well maintained.

High mileage cars don't bother me too much, my galaxy did 275k miles before I sold it. :)

I am also no stranger to working on cars, I have no problem in crawling underneath , fixing and maintaining any car ive owned. Unfortunately I couldn't sort out the dmage done between my Sedona and the concrete block I hit. :(

I have friends who are mechanics so if needs be they will help me when I get stuck :)

Many thanks for your reply :)

Maz

OP
wildwoman

wildwoman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML 270
Welcome Maz. I would have thought the M class 2.7 Tdi 4WD is a great car for you, and you should stick with what you want. There are many on here own or have owned such cars, so will be able to help you, £2k does seem a tight budget, especially if that includes tax, servicing, insurance and putting right any niggles. If you post any cars for sale up here, people will gladly give you feed back. this is a great site if you are looking for a car, and most helpful. I could not have bought my SL without it.

Thank you also for your reply :)

No, the 2k didn't include tax etcc, insurance is £15 more a month than what I had been paying for my Sedona. Once my renewal comes up in may, then because of the accident I had, it will go up by roughly £40 a month .

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
ok in that case you will quite like the 270, its a good engine to work on and as long as the injectors are ok and no sign of black death its pretty bullet proof. just make sure all electrics work, check for rust on the wings, boot and sills. when out for a drive go give it te beanz and make sure it revs past 2000rpm and that the gear changes are nice and smooth.

only thing i would say is go and try a few different cars even if their over your budget it will give a really god idea of whats right and wrong with potential purchases.

if you can and the seller agrees (no reason they shouldn't) take the car to a local indy and have them give it the once over and put it on STAR to confirm if there any error codes.

OP
wildwoman

wildwoman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML 270
ok in that case you will quite like the 270, its a good engine to work on and as long as the injectors are ok and no sign of black death its pretty bullet proof. just make sure all electrics work, check for rust on the wings, boot and sills. when out for a drive go give it te beanz and make sure it revs past 2000rpm and that the gear changes are nice and smooth.

only thing i would say is go and try a few different cars even if their over your budget it will give a really god idea of whats right and wrong with potential purchases.

if you can and the seller agrees (no reason they shouldn't) take the car to a local indy and have them give it the once over and put it on STAR to confirm if there any error codes.

Fantastic, brilliant... thank you for that. :)

Im afraid im quite stubborn when it comes to buying a car, ok... firstly I will admit I am a cosmetic buyer.. secondly I will also admit that since turning 40 ive been trying to get away from the mumsie look car..and I will also admit, that when I buy a car and nothing is wrong with it... im disappointed that I don't have to do anything to it.:D

I am hoping that a mechanic friend will come with me if all goes well, to collect the car. < touches anything made of wood>

Me?? rag the car?? as if.... :wink: But yep, I will do all you suggest.

Thanks again

Maz.

sparkybelle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e320/2000/3.2 diesel
Speaking from personal experience , you could do worse than a E320cdi estate . They do come in a 7 seat version if required and economy is very good , mine returns in excess of 45mpg , bags of "grunt" and oceans of space . They do come with very economical price tags , particularly if they have a bit of "metal moth" on the wheel arches , but this is by no means a big deal . You should take a look .
Good luck
Mike .

OP
wildwoman

wildwoman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML 270
Speaking from personal experience , you could do worse than a E320cdi estate . They do come in a 7 seat version if required and economy is very good , mine returns in excess of 45mpg , bags of "grunt" and oceans of space . They do come with very economical price tags , particularly if they have a bit of "metal moth" on the wheel arches , but this is by no means a big deal . You should take a look .
Good luck
Mike .

Im afraid my mind is set, and like a woman once its set... its set.. :)

Ive gone for this little beaut.. No, im not paying the asking price either.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...benz/onesearchad/used,nearlynew,new?logcode=p

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
looks great- please get rid of the froggy air freshener immediately though!

OP
wildwoman

wildwoman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML 270
looks great- please get rid of the froggy air freshener immediately though!

Oh I will be , I cant stand anything dangling from the rear view mirror...I'm on tenterhooks as I aim to pick up Sunday and i'm travelling a fair way to get it. According to auto route its 3 hours as its down in London... I will be going over it with a fine tooth comb. Gawd... I just hope its ok.

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C350 Petrol Elegance
im on the prowl for a new car after writing off my Kia Sedona on black ice mixed with a blend of farmers field/ embankment and a concrete block. I was gutted as I had only owned her 3 months.

Just a car, main thing is you're ok.
Welcome to the forum.

OP
wildwoman

wildwoman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML 270
Just a car, main thing is you're ok.
Welcome to the forum.

Yea I know.... but she was a beautiful car..... went like the clappers. Took me ages to save up for her.

But anyway, you are right.. just a car..... and me and my kids were fine :)

Many thanks for your welcome :)

OP
wildwoman

wildwoman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML 270
Well, car is now insured, tax it when I get there on the phone as that can be done 24 hours a day... all that's left is to pick it up tomorrow around lunchtime... talk about butterflies!!

Davelincs

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220, 2014, Audi TTRS plus
Good luck with the ML, have a safe trip back to Lincolshire

Rockall

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Many
Maz
You wont go too far wrong with an Ml. I use mine which I also bought 2nd hand ML 270 cdi for work - quarrying - so it gets a tough life!!.
Your advert has been removed so not sure what year yours is - mine is a Phase one which had 16 inch wheels which did not give me the ground clearance I was used to from my old Landcruiser. I fitted a set of 17 inch from a Phase 2 and higher sidewall tyres. Made a big improvement to comfort as well.

If yours is a diesel, keep an eye on the famous injector leaks at each service. I have also removed my swirl flaps recently and will be doing the egr delete the next weekend I get time - all worth doing. EGR delete is only a few pounds but egr is a lot of time - took 6 hours and I had a 2nd hand manifold ready to go.
Assuming that yours is an auto - change the gearbox oil and filter every 30k miles - ignore the service manual schedule.
I have had to have my steering rack rebuilt as it was leaking badly - I tried a few breakers first - all the racks were already gone but then mine has nearly 200k miles of Irish roads!!.

One thing I do notice is comfort - initially I had rear seats in mine - the middle row - and found that the ML was bouncy on bad roads. With weight in the boot it transformed the ride to a car like feeling. I now have only the front seats in mine - our road tax is different - mine is now officially a commercial vehicle and cost 333 euro/annum as opposed to 1350 euro/annum with rear seats!! I have had to put in weight to compensate for the loss of the weight of the middle row - they were extremely heavy. The vehicle was just too bouncy without the weight.

One tip - some weekend practice removing the spare wheel from its cradle under the car - mine was seized solid with rust etc when I had to use it and was very difficult to drop down. As I now have space in the rear I carry a full size spare in the rear.

All in all after nearly a 90k of rough driving I am quite satisfied with the vehicle - comfortable, strong, roomy and quite good on fuel.

Best regards

Bill

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom