Yet more car tax!!!!

joem

Banned
Reaction score
I thought we had spotted this at the time. It is unquestionably unfair though. To portray a tax change as something to influence the buying decisions of new car buyers in favour of the environment when actually it is going to hit hardest the hard pressed families who have been running the same car for years is an outrage.

My C200k estate is the family hack and has been for years. It was registered on the first of March 2001 and qualifies for £400 road tax after 2009. Enviromentally this is ridiculous as this is the car my wife drives and only does 3000 miles a year. Hardly a massive carbon footprint.

I can't afford to change it as now due to Gordon the fraud it is also practically worthless. Since there is nothing wrong with it and Mercedes just mended the rust I would be crazy to sell it for the small amount it is worth.

I have no choice other than to add this devious tax to my list of must pay's that continually reduce the amount of disposable income available in my family budget.

Ironically my E220CDi which I do 25-30k a year in will only cost me £200 to tax because it is a 1999 car. I look forward to the value of pre-2001 cars rising as fast as post 2001 car values plummet.

Splatt

Reaction score
What this does mean, and it`s the next Gordon Brown Oh Whoops we did`nt think of that, is that the older big gas guzzlers will drop in value so that no one wants them and they will be bought by the oinks who run without tax insurance or MOT.

Mr Teddy Bear

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1998 W208 CLK 230K SPORT: MG F 1.8VVC: Flame Red Rover 216GTi
You think your p*ssed off with Gaydon?
all servants of HMG from now on are expected to travell 2-300 miles in a day in supermini's or teenmobile's as I refer to them, good mind to ask a freedom of information question regarding PUS's official transport.................................:twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted:

100%Bitch

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
215 CL600, 216 Facelift CL500, 172 SLK55, Nissan Cube, R170 SLK230 & an Auto Trail Comanche.
My car falls 2 months after the start date. I'm going to hit back my own way and buy as big an engine as I can. I'm going to be paying for it so I might as well get my moneys worth.

Juddian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124CE/1996/3199cc/LPG'd
I dearly hope i'm wrong, but got a feeling in my water that when this shower get back in, and i think they will, (not as it will make a scrap of difference to us if call me a Dave gets there); they will retro increase our pre 2001 cars.

Could'nt possibly allow the enemy (the people) to have a level playing field to set their stall on...or similar.

All in the name of global greenhorses or something, whatever name they can give the grand con of the moment.

100%... i don't blame you, my head spins these days between; 'shall i just get a diesel C1 or doing similar to you and to hell with them'.

100%Bitch

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
215 CL600, 216 Facelift CL500, 172 SLK55, Nissan Cube, R170 SLK230 & an Auto Trail Comanche.
I now thunk what the hell. They're going to increase all other cars soon aren't they so you might as well enjoy yourself. Personally, I don't smoke, hardly drink, so I'll enjoy my £400 as much as I can. They'll probably raise it again later anyway.

Hey Teddy, you're nuts!

white-zed

Reaction score
myself i think they will realise people when people start buying big engined pre 2001 cars so they will introduce this rediculosly high road tax on all cars

davidsl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R172 250CDI Gone..!, R129 SL500 Gone...
We could possibly see some interesting 2nd hand car prices on 2001 and 2000 vehicles - where the 2000 vehicles may fetch more ! Although Car Tax would still be a relatively little cost in the total running costs of a bigger vehicle even at the higher VED rates..

joem

Banned
Reaction score
I don't think they have the option to base road tax on emissions on cars before March 1st 2001 as they don't have the CO2 information on the V5's. March 1st 2001 was when it became law for car makers to disclose CO2 information for the V5.

I do suspect though an engine size based road tax being applied retrospectively in the future for these older cars.

Unfortunately cars are too soft a target, we all need them that don't live in central London because no useable public transport has been provided. Cars can be taxed under the 'Green' banner and are so much more easy to target than the electricity generating and air travel industries that between them produce 70% of all the CO2.

JonA4

Reaction score
Please can I ask..

What is the road tax for? It used to be for the upkeep of the roads etc but now it's all about the environment issues. I think the government is taking advantage of us by hiding the fact they can raise more money by saying it's to save the environment? When it's to just line their pockets!

OK, we need to pay something but surely it's all about how many miles you drive? I do up to 10k per year, so surely a driver doing 40k a year will produce more co2 so they should pay more than me. Likewise a driver doing 6k a year should pay less than me? Would putting it all on the fuel make more sense?

OP
jibcl500

jibcl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500,ML55,SLK280
Its all about getting more money from the the road user, the EU want to ban cars older than 10 years, Gaydons lot want to restrict the usage of classic cars, age unknown but my guess is if its 15 years old or more than you will only be allowed to do 3500 miles a year in it.
I think classic cars will make a big come back as people try to avoid tax and co2 tax, gaydons lot have already idenified this could happen hence the restrictions on classic car usage.
Fuel going up because the US are buying up all they can so they sell later at a massive profit.
The boffins did some tests recently in london to see what the pollution was like now 5 years since the congestion charge was introduced, results the tests done before and now show no change in the in the levels of CO2, deadstone is hiding the fact that £25 CC will increase CO2 by 182,000 tonnes per year.

Its all B0ll0x, gaydons lot are only in it for thier own personal gain nothing else, they screw up and expect us to bail them out.

Lets hope the local elections dont come good for labour.

jib

Splatt

Reaction score
My thoughts keeep going back to the fact that pre 1967 vehicles are and always will be tax VED tax free.and as a classic you can insure them for peanuts.
Now what 1966 vehicle can you buy today that will still be a good little runner ? Perhaps a Diesel LWB Land Rover. Only used to go from the farm to the pub and back. Perhaps fit carpets, ex "S" class seats and a decent sound system . Wife could be a problem, especially when I wind it up on the M1 and need 3 lanes

OP
jibcl500

jibcl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500,ML55,SLK280
Poor old Labour didnt they do well last night!!!!!!!!!!!!!, Lib Dem did better than labour.
I think its time Gaydon packed his bags. The country has spoken.

No we need to think of a witty name for Cameron.

jib

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom