Been pulled for me number plates.

400ixl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E250 AMG Sport Convertible
You'd be working out why you couldn't get past 155mph in a Merc.

OP
SmartAmg

SmartAmg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 E class coupe 350 CDI
Forgot to tell you the cop who did me for my tinted plates was called,
P.C. Jobsworth.

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
@nobody in particular....

I'm in favour of people getting pulled for illegal plates.

What makes them special and allows them to do as they please? What would happen if we all took that view?

Interesting concept that the police are in the wrong because they enforced the law.

Some people have a similar mindset in that it is OK to buy pirated / knockoff / 'fell off the back of a lorry' goods.

Last edited:
OP
SmartAmg

SmartAmg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I don't deny for one second
that technically they are illegal, but come on , in the grand scheme of things, hardly a terrible offence, a lecture and warning would've sufficed, i would have gone straight home and changed them,
(which I did anyway) and it wouldn't have happened again, but no the book was out, and you know why? coz he could, like I said
P.C Jobsworth, who probably had one on him that day.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Just read a news article where a teenage girl received a £600 fine for littering. I agree with that, and I agree with the action over the number plate.

With the fine you’ve received you’ve posted this thread which has spread the word to many so the action by the police is having the right effect.

OP
SmartAmg

SmartAmg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Blobcat, i agree with the litter fine too, as someone who has to pick litter up,
dropping litter is effecting other people, my tinted plates, not effecting anyone. I'm afraid we are going to have to agree to disagree. :)

KennyN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 440i, Cayenne, ZX12r / ZRX11 / ZRX Monoshock
I had S44 BKN on my 9-3 Aero , i was spaced S44B KN and was a magnet for the plod. Plate size and font were legal it was just the B was moved over about 30mm , hardly the crime of the century.

Yes it wasn`t 100% within the official parameters but neither is using a phone whilst driving , car / driver not 100% legal , driving with alcohol or drugs in your system , limo tint front windows - the list of genuine potential life threatening factors that we all see daily on our roads goes on.

We all know the police resources are stretched to the limit so why waste their time and effort on such, in the big picture, trivia. Taking a DD or phone user off the road would be a far more useful use of their time than giving someone a tug for a plate that has been altered "slightly".

Kenny

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
I had S44 BKN on my 9-3 Aero , i was spaced S44B KN and was a magnet for the plod. Plate size and font were legal it was just the B was moved over about 30mm , hardly the crime of the century.

Yes it wasn`t 100% within the official parameters but neither is using a phone whilst driving , car / driver not 100% legal , driving with alcohol or drugs in your system , limo tint front windows - the list of genuine potential life threatening factors that we all see daily on our roads goes on.

We all know the police resources are stretched to the limit so why waste their time and effort on such, in the big picture, trivia. Taking a DD or phone user off the road would be a far more useful use of their time than giving someone a tug for a plate that has been altered "slightly".

Kenny
What makes you think the police aren't dealing with DD and phone use when they see it. People have the wrong perception about the police, especially when they are caught

McDonald

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2004
Mine was MB03 OMB, Dispayed MB 03O MB. Standard lettering, standard plate, altered spacing, More memorable and absolutely traceable. Obviously a serious offence!

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
Ok guys, I vote that we all only obey the motoring laws when we feel like it, let's just all do whatever we want. :eek:

KennyN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 440i, Cayenne, ZX12r / ZRX11 / ZRX Monoshock
What makes you think the police aren't dealing with DD and phone use when they see it. People have the wrong perception about the police, especially when they are caught

I dont think for one minute that they are not dealing with DD / phone users or illegal vehicles when they see them but if they will have more of a chance to see them if they were not tied up giving people a lecture for "trivia".

We all know the police are stretched as far as resources are concerned but it is all down to priorities , surely a phone user is more of a genuine safety priority than a slightly mis-spaced plate and it is not as if the phone users are few and far between , i see more of them than suspect plates on a daily basis so the plod wouldnt have long to wait to nab one.

Kenny

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
I don't deny for one second
that technically they are illegal, but come on , in the grand scheme of things, hardly a terrible offence, a lecture and warning would've sufficed, i would have gone straight home and changed them,
(which I did anyway) and it wouldn't have happened again, but no the book was out, and you know why? coz he could, like I said
P.C Jobsworth, who probably had one on him that day.

Mate I live in a glass house so I'm not throwing stones - just adding to the debate.......:)

People complain about the cops time wasting on petty items but, it is their job to enforce the law.

If people stuck to the law (not saying I am lily-white here) and then the cops would not have to waste their time on petty stuff even if it is taking the time to give a lecture / bolloking.

Not saying this is applicable here but a lot of research has been done in preventing petty crime and the "broken windows theory" is one of the methods for reducing crime. Quoting from Wikipedia (yes I know) :

"The theory thus suggests that policing methods that target minor crimes such as vandalism, public drinking, and fare evasion help to create an atmosphere of order and lawfulness, thereby preventing more serious crimes."

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
@nobody in particular....

I'm in favour of people getting pulled for illegal plates.

What makes them special and allows them to do as they please? What would happen if we all took that view?

Interesting concept that the police are in the wrong because they enforced the law.

Some people have a similar mindset in that it is OK to buy pirated / knockoff / 'fell off the back of a lorry' goods.

I'd far rather we gave out licenses to good drivers, irradiated speed limits altogether (its totally the wrong way to get people to pay attention and drive well) and number plates were irrelevant as we were all decent chaps, who owned up to any incident

OP
SmartAmg

SmartAmg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If people didn't do the petty stuff the police woukdwou have to deal with the petty stuff. Pretty simple really.
People do petty things every day, 35mph in 30mph
zone, 80mph on the motorway, having a wee outside if there's no toilets readily available, we've all done it, and no doubt countless other petty things we do on a daily basis, which are all "technically " against the law, none of which are a hanging offence, are we to be done for every petty thing we do every day.
I'm all for doing drunk driver's, insurance/tax/mot
dodgers, totally unsafe cars
etc, I'm saying a bit of common sense to be used.

OP
SmartAmg

SmartAmg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
On a lighter note, my new plates,
20181223_152229.jpg A bit different than the norm, i always think a nice set of number plates, set a car off. ( Only my opinion of course)
But hey guess what?
They are absolutely, totally,
without any shadow of a
doubt, 100%. LEGAL!!!!! :)

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
People do petty things every day, 35mph in 30mph
zone, 80mph on the motorway, having a wee outside if there's no toilets readily available, we've all done it, and no doubt countless other petty things we do on a daily basis, which are all "technically " against the law, none of which are a hanging offence, are we to be done for every petty thing we do every day.
I'm all for doing drunk driver's, insurance/tax/mot
dodgers, totally unsafe cars
etc, I'm saying a bit of common sense to be used.
The thing is where to draw the line. We could have streets covered in sewage because there was no law preventing it, we could have cars doing 35, 40 mph in a 30 zone because there was no law to prevent it, motorway speed limits set to 80 so lots of people drive at 90. It goes on and on, without laws/limits even for supposedly petty crimes we would be lawless.

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
On a lighter note, my new plates,
View attachment 47347 A bit different than the norm, i always think a nice set of number plates, set a car off. ( Only my opinion of course)
But hey guess what?
They are absolutely, totally,
without any shadow of a
doubt, 100%. LEGAL!!!!! :)
Is the red border legal?

vtaylor78

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Coupe C207 2010 \ SLK 250 R172 2011.
69c5a0c9b4985fc4b4613966e118a761.jpg

Hi Tony,
This plate on the front of my car failed 18 months ago.
I was told it was because the letters/ number are Not solid black.
Seems strange because it passed at another garage, so I’m not really sure TBH.
Nice plates though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom