Torque Converter - Gear Box Repairs

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackC55

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43
I do not think the torque conver is damaged. It just that you cant drain ALL of the contaminated ATF from it when the repair is carried out, so a new one is fitted.

So therefore if the torque converter is not damaged the gearbox is unlikely to be too?

Who knows. We can only speculate.

BlackC55

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43
Also I would like to add this point:

The rumbling noise made by the torque converter is not ALWAYS caused by coolant leaking into the ATF. They fault all on their own......

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hmm........someone close by comes to mind!...........now who am i thinking of............television...it's you!!!!!!!!!!!

Who are you really....MB employee?

It is more sad that I have answered to the best of my ability, and I do not think that anyone could find fault with my answers relating to the fault / problem that was asked.

I do wonder why the Moderators close some threads when they get personal, and leave this one open for more abuse, It makes you think ??:idea:

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
Now, I don't pretend to understand EXACTLY how an auto box works, but if you take a look at this link, it describes how the torque converter with electronic lock up clutch operates. I think that within here - if you can stomach it - you will discover that the lock up clutch has a SLIP FUNCTION [0028], which I believe an auto box does not have. An auto box, I am led to believe, uses its multi-plate clutches simply to engage a gear, without any designed slippage. I am pretty sure that the juddering felt when Glycol contamination is present, is within the torque converter during controlled slippage.

I think this is why MB say that a level of glycol <100 mg/L only requires torque converter replacement, but a higher level >100 mg/L needs gearbox too.

http://www.freshpatents.com/Hydraul...t20060907ptan20060196746.php?type=description

Don't want to get involved in a serious debate, but let me know if this makes any sense.

Last edited:

panason1c

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes ML270CDI, VW Polo 1.9tdi, BMW K1200RS
I know by how a question is asked or answered, if that person knows that much on the subject. having spent 56 years in the service trade, let us say 15 people per day that equals 306600 people or repairs minimum, in the early days it was 30 a day.

When this cools down I may Email you with the answer

Yeah, Yeah, (yawn)..Thanks to this thread, we all now know that you've owned thousands of mercs, lived all over the world, (and beyond), you have a piece of paper that says your an expert in machining (or something like that, 'yawn', you currently live in one of the most sought after parts of the UK....the latest is that you have spent 56 years in the 'service' trade (a waiter?) ........
You now 'royally' state that you "may answer" a direct basic question...........do you really mean..."hang on while i 'look it up'?

C'mon.........why is only the TC damaged and not the gearbox????????????????/

You look even more foolish every time you DONT answer.........

Last edited:

panason1c

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I do wonder why the Moderators close some threads when they get personal, and leave this one open for more abuse, It makes you think ??:idea:

Perhaps you might revisit some of your personal comments directed towards psmart and Eric by yourself on this thread before you get on your high horse!

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Blobcat

Yeah, Yeah, (yawn)..Thanks to this thread, we all now know that you've owned thousands of mercs, lived all over the world, (and beyond), you have a piece of paper that says your an expert in machining (or something like that, 'yawn', you currently live in one of the most sought after parts of the UK.... trade (a waiter?) ........
You now 'royally' state that you "may answer" a direct basic question...........do you really mean..."hang on while i 'look it up'?

Blobcat if you are half decent would you please close this thread of abuse, if not I will send the file to the owners of this site

panason1c

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Blobcat if you are half decent would you please close this thread of abuse, if not I will send the file to the owners of this site

Lol, Now that is a submission if i ever heard one!!!!!!

Blobcat.......let him suffer.....please dont close this thread!

:D

BlackC55

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43
Its childish behaviour from both of you. Who really cares that much. Get a life.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Malcolm I have left this thread open to give you an opportunity to answer some of the questions posed. You have decided not to do that but to ridicule other members instead. You have therefore come in for a lot of flack on this as well as other threads most recently. I would therefore suggest instead of trying to get out by asking for the thread to be closed you re-read your posts and think on them before replying further.

What happens next is in your hands.

panason1c

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Its childish behaviour from both of you. Who really cares that much. Get a life.

Fair comment......but i do have a life, it's fantastic (it really is)

Now.....divide television's postings (approx ..12,500 posts) by his forum 'join' date....(about 26 months).....and work out the 'average' postings per day (or week).......and tell me who has a life?....me or television?

First one with the correct answer wins a gearbox :)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Malcolm I have left this thread open to give you an opportunity to answer some of the questions posed. You have decided not to do that but to ridicule other members instead. You have therefore come in for a lot of flack on this as well as other threads most recently. I would therefore suggest instead of trying to get out by asking for the thread to be closed you re-read your posts and think on them before replying further.

What questions have i not answered here

panason1c

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

Blobcat........RESPECT!............I truly mean that, and i apologise, to you, for my behaviour on this thread.

This is my last post here.

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes

Now.....divide television's postings (approx ..12,500 posts) by his forum 'join' date....(about 26 months).....and work out the 'average' postings per day (or week).......and tell me who has a life?....me or television?

My first post date was Nov 05 so its 18 months, do get your facts straight

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Blobcat.

Post 27 . when I had said nothing wrong and I asked for the pushing around to stop.

Post 33 I asked eric to stop after drinkies as the post was going knowwhere.

Post 34 eric started to insult me.

Post 39 Panosonic insulted me, at no time had I insulted him.

Post 43 I asked panosonic to stop making fun of me

Post 44 Panosonic had another go

Panosinics link to MBclub uk on this subject also upset a lot of people on that forum, and it did not go down well

You are out of order saying that I have ridiculed anyone very much, there is more here against me. And not 1 where I started anything

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes

Yes I have done 55 today, find fault with any of those if you can.

panason1c

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
My first post date was Nov 05 so its 18 months, do get your facts straight

I stand corrected..........makes it an even a sadder life for you though as that means even more posts on average.........

television.....i am calling it a day...i hope you will also..........please reflect and also try to accept that we all learn something every day of our lives........

.........better to ask a question and appear a fool for five minutes than not to ask and remain a fool forever........

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I stand corrected..........makes it an even a sadder life for you though as that means even more posts on average.........

television.....i am calling it a day...i hope you will also..........please reflect and also try to accept that we all learn something every day of our lives........

.........better to ask a question and appear a fool for five minutes than not to ask and remain a fool forever........

I am so sorry that my post count bugs you and Blobcat, it buged Blobcat from the day he joined.

Just to round it off when you say that I look everything up, one thing looked up in 55 post today, that was the key stuck in the 210.

I still note that you are taking the easy way out, there is nothing here that I have said wrong and I have not been rude to anyone first on this thread.

Re your comments on what I said to Psmart, I did not insult him in any way, and I did say sorry within two post and we are on the best of terms, do read the thread all the way through before you pass wrong comments.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes

Panasonic, I now understand that my post count is the thing that bugs you, the same as with Glojo in the MBclub link that you put up, he has 10,000 post to his name and you argued all the way with him right to the end.

Other than through the above reason you have no ground to find fault with any answer on this thread that I have put up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom