A Basic Guide to Detailing

jibcl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500,ML55,SLK280
Hi,
That was a wonderful read, very imformative. Ive inherited a Mercedes SEC, the engine bay is somewhat abused, very grimey and baked on oil around the engine. Whats the best detailer to get it nice and clean and preotected.... there are so many out there its hard to choose.

For cleaning engines but MR Muscle oven cleaner in the cans, a really dirty engine will need 3 cans, comes up really clean best product Ive found so far.

Also I dont use waxes anymore as I found a PTFE teflon product that leaves the paint perfect after every wash. Very pleased with it and I use to use Zymol !!!

jib

OP
vortex114

vortex114

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 230K
Hi,
That was a wonderful read, very imformative. Ive inherited a Mercedes SEC, the engine bay is somewhat abused, very grimey and baked on oil around the engine. Whats the best detailer to get it nice and clean and preotected.... there are so many out there its hard to choose.

Auto Glym Engine & Machine Cleaner is what you need to clean the engine bay. You'll be able to get it from your local Halfords.

Here is the website where you can get more info about it:
http://www.autoglym.com/enGB/product-proddetail.asp?v06VQ=FG&Range=1

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs

roofless

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124 e220 estate
many products are watered down commercial products you can buy for less cost like wonder wheels is a watered down brick & patio cleaning acid & things like jib says mr muscle oven cleaner spray foam is good for very dirty wheels. just give it 20mins then rinse off with water. then it's still hard to beat soapy water & old news papers to polish glass....one thing i would like to know is whats good for a black vinyl cabrio hood as i find with most products when i wash the car or it rains after i use them i get run marks on the paint when it's dry from the water shed from the roof

RoyDavis

Reaction score
Has anyone used Autoglym Aqua wax? I find it quite expensive and can only do my car 2 or 3 times with the bottle you get but its makes it so much quicker and easier, i just use a flexi blade to get most of the water off and then you spray the wax on and dry as you go then just go round it all and buff off! gives quite a nice shine aswell but i just find it so much easier then paste waxes

barose

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 2011 Obsidian Black, CLS350 2013 Silver
Interesting! Any comment about taking care of stone chips etc (black car)

OP
vortex114

vortex114

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 230K
Has anyone used Autoglym Aqua wax? I find it quite expensive and can only do my car 2 or 3 times with the bottle you get but its makes it so much quicker and easier, i just use a flexi blade to get most of the water off and then you spray the wax on and dry as you go then just go round it all and buff off! gives quite a nice shine aswell but i just find it so much easier then paste waxes
I've used it once and after that its somewhere in my shed. Its not good at all.

I prefer Auto Glym HD wax or Collinite No 915. 2 coats of Collinite will last you at least 8 months.

OP
vortex114

vortex114

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 230K
many products are watered down commercial products you can buy for less cost like wonder wheels is a watered down brick & patio cleaning acid & things like jib says mr muscle oven cleaner spray foam is good for very dirty wheels. just give it 20mins then rinse off with water. then it's still hard to beat soapy water & old news papers to polish glass....one thing i would like to know is whats good for a black vinyl cabrio hood as i find with most products when i wash the car or it rains after i use them i get run marks on the paint when it's dry from the water shed from the roof

This is 1 to get:
http://www.elitecarcare.co.uk/renovo-soft-top-canvas-ultra-proofer-1-litre.php?cPath=55
I heard loads of good reviews on that product.

If you want something you can get off the shelf then the Auto Glym kit is very good. Only thing is the protector isn't great in durability so does need topping up.
Auto Glym Fabric hood cleaner:
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_185456_langId_-1_categoryId_165682

D

doversole

I've used it once and after that its somewhere in my shed. Its not good at all.

I prefer Auto Glym HD wax or Collinite No 915. 2 coats of Collinite will last you at least 8 months.

What's your angle on this, Vortex?

A mate of mine who used to valet cars years ago swore by a product called 'Dash Dandy.' I remember it worked wonders on faded vinyl surfaces, I believe it is still around but whether they have changed the formula to more 'environmentally friendly' ingredients or not.

I also used 'Royal Wax' car polish for years until I discovered Farecla Wax Top - i've never looked back.

DoverSole

OP
vortex114

vortex114

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 230K
What's your angle on this, Vortex?

A mate of mine who used to valet cars years ago swore by a product called 'Dash Dandy.' I remember it worked wonders on faded vinyl surfaces, I believe it is still around but whether they have changed the formula to more 'environmentally friendly' ingredients or not.

I also used 'Royal Wax' car polish for years until I discovered Farecla Wax Top - i've never looked back.

DoverSole

You mean what's my angle on aqua wax??
Well, it just doesn't give the shine i want from HD wax or Collinite 915 also it doesn't bead water as good, doesn't sheet water as fast and doesn't last as long as the HD and Collinite.
I haven't personally used Farecla wax top yet, but our Bodyshop uses it and i haven't heard any bad things about it. I might give it a go this weekend just to see what's it like:)

D

doversole

You mean what's my angle on aqua wax?? .....

No, sorry I meant 'Dash Dandy' - i've never tried any Autoglym products except their Tar remover. I'd be interested in your opinion of Wax Top, though - great stuff for an all in one product.

DoverSole

OP
vortex114

vortex114

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 230K
No, sorry I meant 'Dash Dandy' - i've never tried any Autoglym products except their Tar remover. I'd be interested in your opinion of Wax Top, though - great stuff for an all in one product.

DoverSole

Aaah ic, sorry i got confused. I tend not to use aerosol dashboard dressings because they attract loads of dust. When you accidentally spray the windows they're pain to get off. Since my Clk's dashboard is leather i use Auto Glym leather conditioner.

Hmmm. Im quite looking forward to test Wax Top now.

roofless

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124 e220 estate
This is 1 to get:
http://www.elitecarcare.co.uk/renovo-soft-top-canvas-ultra-proofer-1-litre.php?cPath=55
I heard loads of good reviews on that product.

If you want something you can get off the shelf then the Auto Glym kit is very good. Only thing is the protector isn't great in durability so does need topping up.
Auto Glym Fabric hood cleaner:
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_185456_langId_-1_categoryId_165682

thanks i give them a try soon :)

3146bj

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 B180CDI, 2008 Golf Pacific, 2013 VW Tiguan 103TDI
At least you guys can wash your cars. Water restrictions here totally ban home car washing and commercial washes must have recycling facilities. Ours get a commercial wash about once a month if they are lucky or I manage to get to a our country block where we have a dam with about 2 million litres of water full of suspended clay. The clay gives the paintwork a delicate misty appearance until it rains (very rare at the moment) which looks really good on a dark green Disco - not. Takes a lot of buckets of water to wash a Disco or E280- all hand carried from the dam and not fun when its 35 in the shade.

Please, please send us some of your rain!!!!!

drivinggod09

Reaction score
ive used pretty much every wax and polish you can buy in the shops apart from the £300 pound tub of wax in demon tweakss display cabinet i used to use maguires gold class and tech wax before some little erk scratched the car and i got it machine polished they advised me and i now use autoglym hd wax you can build up the layers and as long as you wash it with autoglym shampoo it wont run off , since then it went to the bodyshop for the rust repair and ive just got round to washing the crud off then i polished it with autoglym deep shine polish for dark colours and waxed over the top with hd wax back to our weekly routine now

sib

Reaction score
Vortex - any chance you can do a list of which order the car should be cleaned in??

Is it a case of start at the wheels and tyres, then paint, then sills etc, then interior etc??

Any advice much appreciated and greatly taken on board!!

peter001

Reaction score
ULTRASEAL is the best i've found in 35 years.....ptfe . 1 x application, which is easy, lasts 3 years.......only use warm water to wash, no soapy stuff and kitchen roll to dry it..fantastic , and NO i do not work for them , Pete

stripe

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320cdi Brabus D6
Vortex - any chance you can do a list of which order the car should be cleaned in??

Is it a case of start at the wheels and tyres, then paint, then sills etc, then interior etc??

Any advice much appreciated and greatly taken on board!!

Start at the top and work your way down, that way the dirt doesn't run onto any of the clean bits.

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom