Bought the car at 6pm, broken down in a lay by 30 mins later CL63AMG

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Just had indy come back and say its a CANBUS issue as they've found that the gear lever isn't talking to anything else and is intermittent. They've ruled out battery problem. They suggest it could be wiring fault or a bus problem and it will have to go to a Merc dealer because if they buy and attach any modules and it's not a module problem then they wont be able to get a refund on the part -so they recommend taking it to Mercedes. :cry::sad:

Fingers crossed thats it then.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Just had indy come back and say its a CANBUS issue as they've found that the gear lever isn't talking to anything else and is intermittent. They've ruled out battery problem. They suggest it could be wiring fault or a bus problem and it will have to go to a Merc dealer because if they buy and attach any modules and it's not a module problem then they wont be able to get a refund on the part -so they recommend taking it to Mercedes. :cry::sad:

Glad they discovered that, before you bought the batteries.

Hmmm phases like
"because if they buy and attach any modules and it's not a module problem then they wont be able to get a refund on the part"
.... don't exactly instill confidence in me ..... smacks of the "lets change parts until we get lucky"
But I do realise somethings can be very complex ...
nevertheless I am a great fan of the ultra knowledgeable technician with a logical diagnostic process.

But it might be unfair to comment, just based on your precise of the situation.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Hmmm phases like
"because if they buy and attach any modules and it's not a module problem then they wont be able to get a refund on the part"
.... don't exactly instill confidence in me ..... smacks of the "lets change parts until we get lucky"

Mercedes will do that as many parts have to be coded to the car in the factory so they are useless after (or that's their excuse)

OP
G

growla666

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL63AMG 2007 and a C250d 4Matic AMG Line 2017
No w have a car at an Indy, 40 miles from the dealer I bought it from on my local merc dealer has just told me its a week before he can diagnose it. Emailed dealer I bought it from explaining I'll be bringing it back and I;ve heard nothing. This is getting worse the more I dig deeper......so either take it back to dealer (assuming it doesn't crap out on me again and leave me stranded) or try and get it to Mercedes Boston and be prepared for a very expensive repair

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
No w have a car at an Indy, 40 miles from the dealer I bought it from on my local merc dealer has just told me its a week before he can diagnose it. Emailed dealer I bought it from explaining I'll be bringing it back and I;ve heard nothing. This is getting worse the more I dig deeper......so either take it back to dealer (assuming it doesn't crap out on me again and leave me stranded) or try and get it to Mercedes Boston and be prepared for a very expensive repair

If you bought it from a dealer then it comes with a warranty so call the dealer, tell them to come and pick it up, drop a courtesy car off and fix it!!!!!

Last edited:
OP
G

growla666

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It's from a non franchised trader not a Merc dealer. It's gone back to them on the night I bought it if it was!!

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Still sounds like a car that's been hanging around with dead batteries to me, a few duff earths connections fixed and the world may seem a better place after its has some hot miles under its belt.
These cars don't like standing around in the wet.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

KennyN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 440i, Cayenne, ZX12r / ZRX11 / ZRX Monoshock
As part of any "not fit for purchase" issue then do you not have to give the selling dealer a chance to fix any major problem ?

So rather than throwing good money after bad then it maybe time to get it back to the seller , or at least meet with them with any paperwork you have accumulated up to now to try and come to some written resolution as i think you have done more than what would be deemed "decent" in your situation.

If you start forking out for work then there is no guarantee that you will get that back from the seller.

Kenny

Last edited:

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
As part of any "not fit for purchase" problem then do you not have to give the selling dealer a chance to fix any major problem ?

So rather than throwing good money after bad then it maybe time to get it back to the seller , or at least meet with them with any paperwork you have accumulated up to now to try and come to some written resolution as i think you have done more than what would be deemed "decent" in your situation.

If you start forking out for work then there is no guarantee that you will get that back from the seller.

Kenny

And if someone else works on it then you may leave yourself open to claims of 'It was them that caused it'.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
As part of any "not fit for purchase" issue then do you not have to give the selling dealer a chance to fix any major problem ?

They have one chance to fix it

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
But as yet they have not had that one chance , or have they ?

Nope, car hasn't been back.

I would have had it recovered back there

KennyN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 440i, Cayenne, ZX12r / ZRX11 / ZRX Monoshock
I would have had it recovered back there

Agreed , cars are too complex now (esp the CL63) to be fixed at the roadside with a chap with a multimeter.

Kenny

OP
G

growla666

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Spoke to dealer and they have started the fob tactics already. They said I must email their complaint department and they will respond within 14 days. They won't give me a number to call and when I said I'd have the car recovered back to their forecourt they then said they'd have it removed. WTF!!!!!!!:mad::mad:

Consumer goods act 2016 says I have 30 day to take it back if it's not fit for purpose. Breaking down 20 mins after picking it up says not fit in my book. But looks like if I have this kind of response from these clowns then I have a fight on my hands to get any money out of the c#¥ts....meanwhile.....

Indy given me following codes:

1433, 1405, 1373, p1240, C-002,100,103,121,126,D-10B,13A,C-141,164,155
P124088,U01018F, 6107,7223,6203,6106.......I could go on. Basically Indy says they think it's now a control module issue but if they get one, programme it in and it's not the fault they can't claim it back from Merc plus their car electrician doesn't have the full wiring diagram for a W216. Now at Mercedes Peterborough .

Top Bottom