Brexit

Status
Not open for further replies.

triumphstag

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 500 (2002) R230
And the pound is still down by 20%... which ripples across all costs and hurts the big and the little man.
And we never got hit that badly in our 50 years of EU membership!
- Now that's economics for you!
Perhaps you might like to go and look at historical exchange rates.

Pound is down yes, and has been down before. It's not a reason to stay saddled to a corrupt and failing political project.

triumphstag

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 500 (2002) R230
Talks/The "Plan"

I wonder what the next round of opinion polls regarding the handling of Brexit talks will show. Considering the graph in this article, it won't be very good...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41529867http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41529867

Defence

According to this article there is a risk that by juggling the Navy's purchases the Royal Marines won't have any landing craft... Speculation no doubt put out by angry Navy/Marines people. It will be interesting to see if they can shake the magic money tree (like the government did to buy votes from the DUP) but it's unlikely because there's no vote buying bribe in that.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41511790
And the sexond part has what to do with Brexit exactly?

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220CDI W204 Elegance Comand
Brexit is the root of all evil...

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
And the sexond part has what to do with Brexit exactly?

- Did you bother to look at the graph in the article?

The second part is fairly obviously to do with the appalling way the government has approached the Brexit negotiations.
- All about "taking back control" - but it's all going to end with losing control and jobs and continually suppressed £/ high inflation.

Whenever the subject comes up on TV it's either the butt of a bad joke (the other day "Oh yes, that's going well isn't it?" - audience laughter) or repeated comments such "they never told us this/that etc".

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

triumphstag

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 500 (2002) R230

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I do know the difference thanks, and whilst typing in a hurry on my phone I used the wrong word.

Ironic that it was the only point you wanted to argue after you had made wild accusations that anyone trying to make the best of the situation with Brexit is sh*tting on the little guys by doing so.

Let me make it simple for you how the "little man" can benefit.
Someone, say one of our forum colleagues here or his friends (you know, those evil b****rds you were mentioning) spots an opportunity and starts a business venture. It grows. He or she may need some staff, so they employ people, creating jobs. Maybe the person taking that job didn't have one before, therefore benefits from this, maybe they move to that job for better conditions therefore benefitting.

Maybe it is not a new venture, maybe it is a new business line or a new (or improved) opportunity for and existing business. Same applies.

Is that simple enough to understand?

As for the EU cattle truck, literally, no. Figuratively yes.
When you highlight the massive economic imbalances between states and people move around in the way they are now two things happen:
1. Wages are depressed in the host country
2. Economic on your and business opportunities decrease in the source countries creating a much bigger divide between the haves and have nots (Bulgaria is a good example of this)

Not only did you use the wrong word your example supported that wrong word. What a joke.

So having said I know nothing about business you then give me a lecture on economics. And what's more about something I mentioned several pages ago i.e the rather specious argument that you so eloquently mentioned about making jobs.
As for immigrants when will you understand the EU didn't make them come? They chose to come. Free choice in its ultimate form. It's not even bribery like the £10 poms who emigrated to Australia, nor for that matter the forced emigration of anyone guilty of stealing a loaf of bread, nor the forced emigration of children by Britain during the war. No... the EU did nothing to make people come here. Your argument people came as a result of economic pressures is equally flawed. Are you going to say those people moving from poorer regions of the UK to the more affluent south were also forced by the UK government? Some people will always seek to better themselves by moving to a different city, region, country or continent. Why do you think all those Jamaicans arrived in the 50s/60s, Indians in the 70s/80s etc? They certainly didn't come here for the weather. Maybe the EU forced them too?

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
The EU's open door or free movement requirement is the source of so many of our problems not least the dilution of the tremendous contribution migrants have made to our country.
Now very desirable people with much needed skills and values are washed in with a tide of the flotsam and jetsam of Europe and beyond.
The desirable have to compete with a flood of parasites.
If you are well off its great, nannies, cleaners,barista's and general cheap labour is great for the Philip Greens and Michael Ashleys of the world for those of us who directly subsidise his operations through tax credits and housing benefit it isn't

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Speculation Dave. How many HAVE ACTUALLY gone?????
If they do go, you will undoubtedly be falling over yourself to crow about it.

You are quite personally personally offensive. I've told you many times that I am concerned at what Brexquitters like you are doing to my country and my kids future - and each time you give a similar offensive reply instead of recognising what's happening.

The above post is not really speculation unfortunately - they will be going because the EU are going to shut up that shop (fairly obviously they won't continue with the EU agency in a non-EU country). Go read about it - all the news reports say "when" not "if". Just another thing people like Boris didn't paint on their bus! Following behind it is the EU Banking Agency. Together they employ about 1,000 people. The government tried to keep them and got their duty is to cooperate in helping with their move - if you read about it you'll see we are also going to have to pay £520M for their move. But Davis/Barnier insist they want to discuss trade terms instead. It's strange that 27 other countries don't want to be dictated to by a Quitter country isn't it?

I said months ago, the final result will be a cr*p deal giving UK just what they want to. The end will be garnished so that whoever is PM can say they tried... it's utterly the time we have lost by not negotiating properly.

As a result of May's mismanagement, it looks probable that France and Germany will reject her transition demand:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-angela-merkel-macron-eu-latest-a7987791.html
- see what I mean? get ready: "We tried but they won't give us a deal..."

The comments on this article are interesting and put us to shame.

The EU are even having accelerated discussions with Labour because they are so concerned about our our likely failure to complete the process (mostly due to the current political Mayhem - pun intended).
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...se-jeremy-corbyn-michel-barnier-a7987806.html

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
This is the same tripe brexiteers have spouted for ages and not backed up by fact.
The percentage of graduates amongst EU immigrants is higher than the UK born population.
The percentage of EU immigrants in employment is higher than either native UK or non- EU immigrants.

That suggests there is more home grown flotsam and jetsam than is washed in from the EU and that EU immigrants actually contribute more to a skilled educated work force than our own home grown citizens and they are more likely to get off their butts and work.

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
This is the same tripe brexiteers have spouted for ages and not backed up by fact.
The percentage of graduates amongst EU immigrants is higher than the UK born population.
The percentage of EU immigrants in employment is higher than either native UK or non- EU immigrants.

That suggests there is more home grown flotsam and jetsam than is washed in from the EU and that EU immigrants actually contribute more to a skilled educated work force than our own home grown citizens and they are more likely to get off their butts and work.
And the EU people in UK contribute to our country in two ways - both with their work and by paying taxes.

Remember the TV program where they gave a lot of young unemployed the opportunity to work picking asparagus and the EU employees did something like 10 times what the English did - if they turned up for work etc.

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
At risk of sounding like an I'm alright jack, my employer is completely unaffected by Brexit.

Laughing at adversity is a very British thing to do..

Sorry, but if you're unemployed it's pretty hard to laugh at adversity.
- And your employer may be unaffected by Brexit currently but every company will be affected in the end.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sorry, but if you're unemployed it's pretty hard to laugh at adversity.
- And your employer may be unaffected by Brexit currently but every company will be affected in the end.
And every individual is starting to feel it's effects now.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Very interesting interview with Lord Hesseltine.
He doesn't think the government will last more than 2 years (the DUP will let her down as internal NI issues take their focus), the economy is deteriorating and Labour will take an increasingly anti Brexit stance and win the next election.

This confirms some of my own thoughts that Theresa May's position is becoming increasingly untenable. The splits in the Conservative party are undermining her position not only internally bùt internationally. This was reported in a post above where the EU are talking with Labour in the expectation Mrs May's government fails.

What a shambles.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Unfortunately our liberal attitude in the UK acted like a magnet for migration from Eastern Europe and who could blame them. As an experiment it has had disasterous consequences for EU unity and trust, what was missing was a mission to encourage migrants with skills learnt here to return home to build a better society, but the EU Commission lacked the vision

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Very interesting interview with Lord Hesseltine.
He doesn't think the government will last more than 2 years (the DUP will let her down as internal NI issues take their focuz), the economy is deteriorating and Labour will take an increasingly anti Brexit stance and win the next election.

This confirms some of my own thoughts that Theresa May's position is becoming increasingly untenable. The splits in the Conservative party are undermining her position not only internally bùt internationally. This was reported in a post above where the EU are talking with Labour in the expectation Mrs May's government fails.

What a shambles.

Ha ha... In the news today Bumbling Boris is telling Tory MPs to get behind May.
- What he hasn't said is that he means to push her out the door!

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Unfortunately our liberal attitude in the UK acted like a magnet for migration from Eastern Europe and who could blame them. As an experiment it has had disasterous consequences for EU unity and trust, what was missing was a mission to encourage migrants with skills learnt here to return home to build a better society, but the EU Commission lacked the vision

A high percentage of the Poles who came here have gone back to Poland. With the pressure on the £ caused by Brexit, it's not worth their while being here and moreover the economy in Poland like all the Eurozone has gone up and up while ours goes down. Their employers are now suffering because they can't find replacement employees.

- But we're going to be back in control of our declining country (just ask Boris...).

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
IMG_20171007_164326_2.jpg well if we're all fecked there's only one thing for it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom